RGB to CMYK troubles

Started by Nivin, February 19, 2016, 02:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nivin

Not sure why I'm having so much trouble with color conversions. Think I have it - and "poof" all understanding disappears!

We are having a difference if RGB to CMYK if converted in InDesign or converted in Acrobat PitStop.

I apologize up front if not ok to post to more than one Forum.  :undecided:

Adobe US Web Coated (SWOP) color settings - used in InDesign and Acrobat

RGB Mix in Original InDesign file R=87, G-154, B=88

InDesign converts to C=70 M=10 Y=84 K=3

PitStop is set to pick up color management from Acrobat. Acrobat is using the same color settings as InDesign synced with Bridge.

Acrobat PitStop converts to C=82.51 M=3.37 Y=86.67 K=6.89

One difference I know is InDesign uses Adobe CMM color engine. PitStop uses Little CMS. Would this make that much difference?

abc

HI Linda, I pinged you a mail. It's a configuration issue.

pspdfppdfxhd

Tracy

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

abc

Hi all, long story short.
The color management preferences in all applications were, RGB = Adobe RGB, and CMYK = SWOP v2.

These are default settings, so they are used if there are no other profiles in the files, and that's where the issue came from.

The indesign document was tagged with an sRGB profile, so the Indesign conversion was sRGB to SWOPv2.
The PitStop PDF did not have an sRGB profile, so the source was the default. Adobe RGB to SWOPv2.
That's where the difference came from.

If I saved the PDF from Indesign without color conversion, and 'including all RGB and Tagged Source profiles', my PitStop conversion was similar to Indesign  (because the source profile used the sRGB profile that was in the Indesign document, instead of the default RGB profile)
If I changed my default RGB profile in PitStop to sRGB, and converted the original untagged file, I got similar results to Indesign.

Hope that makes sense?