Server 2003 - how to boot from mirror

Started by David, November 02, 2010, 02:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

okay, I've rebuilt one of my RIPs running Server 2003.
I've got a two drive mirror (2 150 gb drives).
I want to test it to see if it would boot from the mirror.
I have pulled the disk0 out of the bay and restarted, all I get is a blinking cursor.
This box has no floppy drive.

my question, do any of you have instructions on what I need to do to get it to boot from the mirror?
MS keeps pointing to Win XP for instructions on booting from a mirror, but XP is not 2003.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Just a quick guess but you might have to go into the BIOS and point it to the mirror drive as the first boot device.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Hit F2 when it attempts to start (one of the only two options I get), changed the boot to the other drive and still no go.

am I doing it wrong or missing something?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

It's possible the mirror drive is missing the MBR (master boot record) and it doesn't think the drive is bootable.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

how can I check it and if's it is missing, how to get it on there?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Chilbear

I did exactly the wrong thing when I did this.

You need to break the mirror first then when it restarts will see the second drive (it is hidden while still a mirror). Do NOT hit "YES"  to copy or write when it restarts. I answered YES and it wrote the dead drive to the Mirror (d'oh). It was quite a few years ago so be careful.

I believe once you get it started (hopefully) you have to change the bad drive and then MIrror it to the "New" C drive.

Farabomb

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=23045

Wish I had more time but the platesetter just went nuts and I should be leaving.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

This is only for a test of the mirror, so I don't really want to break it (not yet anyway). I do not have a floppy drive on this box either, so that cramps me up right there.
I spent two days installing the stupid OS, then another 2 days to install the RIP software and get it configured. I found some "help" on MS about breaking the mirror, swap out disk 1 for disk 0, rebuild the mirror, put the original disk 0 back in the slot and you're good to go (close to the link that farabomb posted). But that just sounded a little extreme to me.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Chilbear

It makes perfect sense. You have to get the C drive running and "fixing" the mirror will restore the C drive. If you break the mirror, you can reassign the good drive to be the C drive and do three twirls and you are off.

It cost me 9 hours and $1000 of tech time to reload so I get the sense D. Better to spend a couple of hundred and get a pro to f it up unless you feel confident.

Joe

Chilbear is right. The mirror is invisible and the only way to boot from it is to break the other half. Which I don't recommend.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

This is why you use hardware mirrors and not software mirrors.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Quote from: mattbeals on November 02, 2010, 04:38:47 PMThis is why you use hardware mirrors and not software mirrors.

I think he is talking about a hardware mirror.

mattbeals

If it is a hardware mirror he could pull it and keep running or pull it and boot. If it's a software mirror it's a bit more risky.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Quote from: mattbeals on November 02, 2010, 05:35:21 PMIf it is a hardware mirror he could pull it and keep running or pull it and boot. If it's a software mirror it's a bit more risky.

Agreed though I don't recommend either. :grin: