Running pirated copy of Windows 7 or 8.1?

Started by Joe, March 18, 2015, 10:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

:rotf:  I put a copy of Windows 7 out with a "free" sign and no one would take it... why would anyone steal it?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

To keep $139 in their pocket. :P

But don't be fooled by Microsofts generosity...they are laying the groundwork for a Windows subscription plan. :death:

David

it's a cloud thing...

more money in the cloud than on the ground.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

It's not stolen.

It's indefinitely borrowed.

And Windows 7 doesn't suck, 8 does so if the pattern continues 10 should be good.

Not that I even turn on my windows box anymore. It's basically android now and their OS upgrades are free.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 18, 2015, 11:40:33 AMIt's not stolen.

It's indefinitely borrowed.

And Windows 7 doesn't suck, 8 does so if the pattern continues 10 should be good.

Not that I even turn on my windows box anymore. It's basically android now and their OS upgrades are free.

Yeah if you can get your carrier to update your device.

Windows 8.1 is fine. Windows 9 would have been the good one but they skipped it altogether. :rotf:

Farabomb

Not if you're rooted. I have lollipop on the m8 and 4.4.4 on the s3. Neither are available from the carrier.

Yes you can pork your phone but Verizon's last update to the s3 was horrible. Battery life issues, random reboots yet my "hacked" version works flawlessly. Verizon also took the root option away from s3 users by relocking the bootloader 3 updates or so ago. They say it's because of "network security" is the reason they lock bootloaders. They do offer google nexus devices that are fully open, including the bootloader so it's BS.

In a way I can see a little of their point. People that don't know much end up bricking their phones, lie about it and claim it on insurance. The ones that do know what they are doing are few and won't claim it as they know how to fix it. They are not the problem but get locked down phones because of it. Give me a option so I can pay to have an unlocked device and tailor it to my needs. Don't lock down 99% of them claiming security bullshit.

I also don't shed a tear for any insurance company, they get their money no matter what and don't give it back if nothing happens over the life of the device.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I heard on the news this morning that Microsoft is planning on giving Explorer a dirt nap. About damn time. The code-name for their new browser... Spartan? ... meh, it's all Greek to me.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

spartan, greek...  to funneh Mr. Ear.
musta had your cheerios this morning.  :drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

I just drank a Red Bull™. beep beep zip tang! pakewwww :banana:

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 18, 2015, 12:51:00 PMNot if you're rooted. I have lollipop on the m8 and 4.4.4 on the s3. Neither are available from the carrier.

Yes you can pork your phone but Verizon's last update to the s3 was horrible. Battery life issues, random reboots yet my "hacked" version works flawlessly. Verizon also took the root option away from s3 users by relocking the bootloader 3 updates or so ago. They say it's because of "network security" is the reason they lock bootloaders. They do offer google nexus devices that are fully open, including the bootloader so it's BS.

In a way I can see a little of their point. People that don't know much end up bricking their phones, lie about it and claim it on insurance. The ones that do know what they are doing are few and won't claim it as they know how to fix it. They are not the problem but get locked down phones because of it. Give me a option so I can pay to have an unlocked device and tailor it to my needs. Don't lock down 99% of them claiming security bullshit.

I also don't shed a tear for any insurance company, they get their money no matter what and don't give it back if nothing happens over the life of the device.

I can't speak for all carriers/manufacturers but I've got a couple of Samsung devices that Samsung won't update past 4.2.2 and I'm kind of leary of custom ROMs anymore. Both of my Samsung device have them now and I wish I could go back to the stock ROM. Simply rooting won't make the manufacturer or carrier give you the latest Android 5.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on March 18, 2015, 12:53:52 PMI heard on the news this morning that Microsoft is planning on giving Explorer a dirt nap. About damn time. The code-name for their new browser... Spartan? ... meh, it's all Greek to me.

Is it really new if they just change the name? I mean it is still going to be a Microsoft web browser so what really will change?

Farabomb

Yup, IE is going the way of Netscape.

Wonder what the geeks are going to make fun of now?

Joe, you can't find stock images for your devices? Yes, it's hit or miss on the custom ROMs. I've tried a LOT of them across all my devices and sore are flawless and some suck hard. It depends on the popularity of the device. My droid charge had almost no dev support but the s3 is still being updated by the devs. I feel the devs do just as good of a job releasing stable software as major carriers.

My GF has a stock s3 and the interface drives me nuts. She is running a different launcher (nova) but the core system colors and interface are just ugly in my eyes.

Yes, like all OS updates you can be limited by hardware. Samsung says the s3 won't support lollipop but there are alphas out there running on the hardware. I also ran into that with my first samsung device.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Windows 10 looks like a solid OS and follows the tradition of every other OS release to be a good one. Win XP good, Vista Bad, Win 7 good, Win 8 TERRIBLE, Win 10 looks very good. I have it installed in Parallels on my Mac and will be installing it on a PC I fiddle with at home that is running Win 7. Microsoft has come a long way and their OS has improved greatly. Anyone can install the beta of Win 10. If you have the latest version of Parallels on your mac, it does it all for you from downloading to installing.

Joe

Windows 8.1 is not horrible once you install a Start menu addon. Almost all of the bad press is over that stupid little button. :rotf: