News:

Main Menu

AX 4.0 & Acrobat 8

Started by jason, June 24, 2008, 09:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrepressCrapFixer

Networking isn't my regular thing, I have an IT person for that, so if I sound a bit like I don't know what I'm talking about, that would be the reason.  Anyhow, we do have both of our ApogeeX servers on our Domain and we do use SMP to mount the disk.  I am very interested to see how Acrobat 9 files interact with the system.  Keep the rest of us informed.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

leonardr

Quote from: Lukas on July 22, 2008, 12:59:45 AMMac has the advantage of being able to have multiple Acrobats. I have Acrobat 7 as the fixup for Apogee 4 (you can set PDF viewer in Apogge and it doesn't have to be system default), but have 8, havent tried 9 with Apogee yet ;P

Be aware that Adobe does NOT support installation of multiple copies of EITHER Acrobat OR Reader on a single computer (Mac or Win).  The only supported configuration is a single copy of Reader along with a single copy of Acrobat on the same OS, where the version of each is >= 7.

VMWare/Parallels/VirtualPC is your friend...

Leonard Rosenthol
Adobe Systems

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: leonardr on August 06, 2008, 03:10:45 PM
Quote from: Lukas on July 22, 2008, 12:59:45 AMMac has the advantage of being able to have multiple Acrobats. I have Acrobat 7 as the fixup for Apogee 4 (you can set PDF viewer in Apogge and it doesn't have to be system default), but have 8, havent tried 9 with Apogee yet ;P

Be aware that Adobe does NOT support installation of multiple copies of EITHER Acrobat OR Reader on a single computer (Mac or Win).  The only supported configuration is a single copy of Reader along with a single copy of Acrobat on the same OS, where the version of each is >= 7.

VMWare/Parallels/VirtualPC is your friend...

Leonard Rosenthol
Adobe Systems

Unfortunately in the Prepress world... different versions of Acrobat excel in different areas. I have versions 6-9 on my machine (Pro version). If I paid for them, I choose to run them, why would Adobe not support this? The only conflict I get, is when I HAVE to run different versions to do my job.

Running V6 for Apogee X, still in V3.5.
Running V7 in case V6 doesn't work.
Running V8 primary. I mainly use it for PitStop actions and flattening, converting colors.
Running V9 Haven't really had time to properly evaluate it. Plus, no Pitstop.

I think Adobe NEEDS to change this policy, on the other hand I don't really care, Adobe has made it very difficult to get answers to software problems in the past, so I have learned to do without that little service.

Oh, and welcome to the boards. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

Lukas

The question is not if Adobe supports it.
The questions is what works. Try things even if they're not supported, because sooner or later somone else wil try it and then we need to tell them it won't work, or they can circumvent the problem in this way...

If Adobe did support it then we didn't need these forums to tell us how to do the dirty work. The unsupported tricks of the trade that we need to know to get the job done.
I think Adobe does appreciate this, even if officially they can't, because without us prepress people helping eachother cheat the systems there would be alot more frustrated designers flooding Adobe support. After all you will find that the prepress staf in various service bureaus are the first line of defence Adobe has, many users would rather talk to someone they know than initiate a carousell of "for technical suppoprt press 1..."
Please don't take my practical approach as a personal crusade against you Leonard, not in this nor in other fora, it is allways good to know what the official standpoints are. And you add a valuable point of view. If we all just agreed the discussions would go flat.