Microfiche

Started by gnubler, February 29, 2012, 11:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

We had someone come in our front door with 40 yr old building plans on microfiche that he wanted printed out. Has anyone dealt with this before and does it involve a neg scanner? (we don't have one). We referred him to a repro place in town that does maps and stuff.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on February 29, 2012, 11:37:14 AMWe had someone come in our front door with 40 yr old building plans on microfiche that he wanted printed out. Has anyone dealt with this before and does it involve a neg scanner? (we don't have one). We referred him to a repro place in town that does maps and stuff.

Good choice.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Oddly enough I'm currently reading a book about how libraries destroyed millions of books to preserve on microfiche. Is this even still used? I haven't seen one of those slide readers since I was a young whippersnapper.

I guess google's book scanning project has dwarfed whatever's left of microfiche archives.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

how much pointing and laughing was involved?

:lmao:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on February 29, 2012, 12:04:02 PMOddly enough I'm currently reading a book about how libraries destroyed millions of books to preserve on microfiche. Is this even still used? I haven't seen one of those slide readers since I was a young whippersnapper.

I guess google's book scanning project has dwarfed whatever's left of microfiche archives.
I remember visiting the library when I was in college and they had an extensive microfiche section, which (and I honestly don't know why I know this) included the entire run of Playboy.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

I was going to suggest  to take it to the library or a local newspaper.
they should all have a microfiche printer, maybe.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

being how we are government, i got a whole room of micro crap stored, plus we have handy little readers that convert the film to print..

its all going away, being replaced with http://www.laserfiche.com/en-us  - Ray Morgan Co. crammed this up our kiester, and we are going to convert over to it.