ThinkPad startup problem

Started by frailer, March 16, 2014, 05:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

BIL has got FIL a new ThinkPad so he can do stuff from home. When I was there over weekend, it wasn't wanting to start when pressing the start button top-right. I plugged it into the wall with the charger and it then started doing its windows thing... asking for Ctl+Alt+Del etc...
I assumed at that stage it just hadn't been charging, and it was simply a flat battery issue.
Now, he phones me and says he can't get it starting either way. It has fingerprint recog. but I don't think it's been accessed yet, so shouldn't be that.
Wondering if there's a keyboard combo or something that's required. The dummy's start sheet certainly doesn't allude to anything like that.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

It doesn't start at all? Nothing on the screen?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Correct.   :undecided:  Yet, yesterday I got a startup happening when I plugged it into the wall socket. That's not working for him now.
Son is nearby. If he's not busy he may be able to pop in...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Well, plugged in, it should do something. If not it is probably serious. :laugh:

frailer

Yeah, just figuring next 'Help' move.   :laugh:

Joe

Clueless on a laptop that is completely dead. Other than no screen you aren't hearing any noise like fans or the hard drive spinning? Nothing at all?

frailer

Won't be seeing it until weekend. He may get it looked at before then. Just seems odd. Gotta be something really simple/obvious.