Saving and overwriting files on an HP laptop Windows 7

Started by Designia(o_O), September 23, 2015, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Designia(o_O)

HP laptop Windows 7
Why the f*****g f**k can't you download a file from an email and have it overwrite a previously saved version of the same file. I update sheets constantly and my reps have all these frikkin copies floating around. Instead of asking if you want to overwrite the current file it adds a number to the end of the dile name, ie file(2).pdf or file(3).pdf.
Is it a Windows 7 thing? Is there a setting I'm missing? It's ridiculous and aggravating.

Joe

On my Windows 7 machine it asks me if I want to overwrite the original or save both, or cancel.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Nope, she just deletes them.

Designia, I have a feeling that they just don't have a clue how to use a computer. They just click through whatever box they see then call IT when their computer crashes. I wasn't doing anything and it just crashed... Sure it did.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Possum

Ear must be psychic. A new story just popped up that Clinton promises not to run a private e-mail server if she's elected president. Sure....
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Designia(o_O)

Quote from: Joe on September 23, 2015, 10:43:22 AMOn my Windows 7 machine it asks me if I want to overwrite the original or save both, or cancel.

Ugh, nope it saves it with a number on mine. Pissing me off.

Joe

I should read your post better. I was thinking of "Save As...". When downloading a file it does that for me too. It is a safeguard so users don't overwrite files. If it makes you feel any better Macs do that also when downloading.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Designia(o_O)

My Mac asks me if I want to overwrite the file, it never renames it with a number.

My sales people can't create a goddamn organizational hierarchy on their computers to keep track of their shit and then complain to me that they have multiple versions of all these one-sheets.

Farabomb

Strange, on attachments it always just adds a number. I know because one of our clients insists on adding a shit logo file on ALL their emails. I click on save all and it downloads. Since they suck at fire creation I can tell how many times they revised it by how many copies of their logo is in the folder.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job