Default Spot Screen Angle

Started by Tracy, March 10, 2021, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

Wait, so they are implying that your image has the moiré before their RIP.
Maybe so if a rescreen...
but a monitor has a pixel resolution that can mesh (or mis-mesh) with the copydot scan and have a moiré - ok fine...
but that is an entirely different thing than an imagesetter resolution mis-mesh.
I am skeptical, if your image had the moiré already, it might view at more than just 1 specific scale on the screen...
and wasn't it a copydot? IMO, a copydot can't have a moiré in it - that's the point of it... so that would imply the image got ruined in their RIP.
Furthermore, I got the impression that you do this often and without issues until it went to a vendor?
:homer:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on March 11, 2021, 12:10:40 PM
Ok their image setter is at 2500, thanks guys
I would not have known to ask this.

Their prepress is telling me if you open up the image in photoshop at 89% you will see the moire  :laugh:

1st off they should have their a$$ kicked for opening a perfectly good PDF in Photoshop.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on March 11, 2021, 12:10:40 PM
Ok their image setter is at 2500, thanks guys
I would not have known to ask this.

Their prepress is telling me if you open up the image in photoshop at 89% you will see the moire  :laugh:

And also...2500 / 1200 = 2.083333333333333 - moire.

born2print

Quote from: Joe on March 11, 2021, 12:48:07 PM
2500 / 1200 = 2.083333333333333 - moire.
BOOM! :drop the mic:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: born2print on March 11, 2021, 12:36:25 PM
Wait, so they are implying that your image has the moiré before their RIP.
Maybe so if a rescreen...
but a monitor has a pixel resolution that can mesh (or mis-mesh) with the copydot scan and have a moiré - ok fine...
but that is an entirely different thing than an imagesetter resolution mis-mesh.
I am skeptical, if your image had the moiré already, it might view at more than just 1 specific scale on the screen...
and wasn't it a copydot? IMO, a copydot can't have a moiré in it - that's the point of it... so that would imply the image got ruined in their RIP.
Furthermore, I got the impression that you do this often and without issues until it went to a vendor?
:homer:

You can see a moire in any screened image in photoshop if you view at a certain size which has nothing to do with outputting the file. It's just a weird pattern on the monitor at that point.

Scale it to 1,250 dpi and it would output perfectly at 2500. And 2500 is weird resolution. Most high end output devices are 2400 or 2540. I think the 2540 is what most filmsetters were at back in the day.

Our old Luscher platesetters wouldn't allow us to change resolutions. Everything had to be at 2400 dpi or would scale the image. We have two new ones now, a Fuji Javelin and a Screen Ultima so I'm not sure if we could change the resolution now or not. We just run everything at 2400.

And it may actually be the workflow that rescreens the screen when it is screening the one bit tiff. It's been awhile ago since I had to deal with stuff like this.

Joe

If you take that image and upscale it to 2500 in Photoshop you will see moire at several different magnification values. But at 100% you never see the moire.

David

where did they get a setter that has a 2500 res output?

never seen one of those.

:drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on March 11, 2021, 01:04:39 PM
where did they get a setter that has a 2500 res output?

never seen one of those.

:drunk3:

Somebody probably got a deal...

:facepalm:

Tracy

You guys are priceless! seriously, I got to go into the meeting knowing what I was talking about
and yes we have printed this for 15 years various presses and vendors, I made a plate this morning
to take to the meeting with me, it was good to have all my ducks in a row.

I know I was asking the guy, "why are you opening it in photoshop"
he was trying to prove his moire point

It's an AGFA, curious if they just got it or something, they would not hear about the resolution until
I got to speak to the prepress manager, he said he would look into it.

so we cannot have them print this job there anymore, It's a pretty big job too
12 different forms, usually pretty big runs
Customer hasn't seen it yet, run was kind of large so it may take awhile for them to catch it.

Joe

Change resolution to 1250 with Pitstop on the globe image. Have them test a new plate at 2500 dpi. My money, though I have none, says that it will look fine.

Tracy

ok I will let them know! not sure if they are interested but I will try

I learned so much from this too!