Photographs printing using CMYK and Metallic

Started by Trish, November 12, 2019, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trish

Has anyone ever set up photographs printing using CMYK and Metallic? We are trying to create an effect, but not sure how to get there. Any suggestions?
Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

born2print

That can be tough, like duotones with Black and Silver.
The Black gets murdered, and the metallic loses its sheen when screened into dots.
Might also consider metallic stock instead? Then you can use opaque white to make parts of the image less or non metallic.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DigiCorn

I *think* I have done this many, many years ago. The metallic can't ever be 100% or the effect won't work unless you print the metallic, wait for it to dry and then print the black over the top of the dried metallic on a second pass. If the metallic is a screen value, the screen angle CANNOT be the same as the black screen angle or they overprint each other and the metallic removes all traces of the black.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

How are you printing these photos? Are they going litho or Xerox?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Trish

Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

born2print

another variant of my advice is to print reversed on clear plastic, then laminate with metallic silver paper
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

EyeTech

Sounds like the old MetalFX (do a net search). In practice you lay the metallic down first and overprint with CMYK. If you've a 5 or a 6 colour press this can be done inline, of course you do need the appropriate tack graded metallic ink, normal metallics don't 'trap' the subsequent inks correctly, that's trap as in ink lift, not as in pre-press trapping. Or maybe you could print the metallic first (no sealer varnish or aqueous seal) and then overprint the CMYK when its dry.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

AaronH

Quote from: Trish on November 13, 2019, 11:37:35 AM
Litho

Hmm... I would have an idea if it was the Xerox. EyeTech's idea sounds like the best bet. I believe the metallics we have are set to run after CMYK. We just ran a job that way, but the gold didn't trap images just text.

For setting up the image, its pretty easy to do in a CMYK photoshop file with a spot channel named correctly, then with that channel only paint or apply any textures or what have you in black on that channel and you'll get it as an overprinting spot. To get this right, I usually make a visual mockup layer I turn off in the CMYK channel and then copy the layer data and fill the spot channel with the selection still active with black - hopefully that makes sense. I have a PSD file I did to help out a Xerox sales rep selling those fancy new Xerox's with the metallic toner I can share it if you want it. It should still apply with images for Litho though I don't know how successful it would turn out compared to the Xerox.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris