NEWSFLASH! Quark still sucks...

Started by Joe, November 30, 2012, 03:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Customer has a file originally created in Quark 3.31 now being opened in Quark 6. Those files are sent to us where and we have to open them in Quark 8 because Quark 8 is the oldest version of Quark you can run on a Mac running OS 10.7.x. Then a PDF is output via export, not PS ====> distill. Then that PDF is input into Prinergy and refined. Our PDF does not match the low res printouts they made from Quark 6 (type reflow) in one small ad. The original ad was done in Photoshop and saved as a PDF before being placed into Quark 6. And finally, customer viewed files in Kodak Insite with the font problem showing and he approved them. Yet he still wants to blame us for not catching it. :shoots_self:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

JCPenfold

Craziness!! Haven't used Quark since 6.5, with Creative Suite out there who in their right mind would still want to use that outdated piece of junk

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Greg_Firestone

Ugh...

It's too late now for this job but if you get a similar job from same customer, try to normalize any of placed PDFs and EPS files prior to outputting a PDF from Quark. Should help prevent future issues. Make sure everything is PDF/X-1a.

Greg

frailer

I'll probably jinx myself here, but I think Aussies led the stampede away from Quack. Did a to Q2ID on a small doc last week for Head Girl at head Office. Otherwise, the only blips on the radar are the emails; (QuackSpam).
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

we export to .ps ===> refine in prinergy. Out of quack 8.
PDFs out of quack are asstacular at best. At worst, it seems to like to take placed bitmap tiffs and turn them into Rorschach ink blots, like butterflied and mirrored. Doubtful if that would affect color though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Tracy

Had a quark file today that had illy CS6 links!!! crazy

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on November 30, 2012, 03:50:46 PMHad a quark file today that had illy CS6 links!!! crazy

And deadly too probably!

Joe

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on November 30, 2012, 03:36:21 PMUgh...

It's too late now for this job but if you get a similar job from same customer, try to normalize any of placed PDFs and EPS files prior to outputting a PDF from Quark. Should help prevent future issues. Make sure everything is PDF/X-1a.

Greg

Yeah, the thing is that this particular customer doesn't want to pay any prepress charges. SOS.

G_Town

Lemmie asks yas this....

Customer sends in file with copy running into the glue flap by about 1/16" we use a QA software that basically compares their supplied low res proof PDF to the one we generate once the file has been prepped. Since it sees no difference it doesn't flag the issue, sure it would have been nice if we had caught it but....

How responsible are we if we duplicate exactly what they sent us?

The customer seems to except responsibility but the salesman goes into hysterics that we should have caught it bla bla bla....

What standard to you hold your customers supplied files to?

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on December 03, 2012, 10:06:02 AMWhat standard to you hold your customers supplied files to?

None. Assume nothing. :laugh:

I've seen some magical stuff.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: G_Town on December 03, 2012, 10:06:02 AMLemmie asks yas this....

Customer sends in file with copy running into the glue flap by about 1/16" we use a QA software that basically compares their supplied low res proof PDF to the one we generate once the file has been prepped. Since it sees no difference it doesn't flag the issue, sure it would have been nice if we had caught it but....

The customer seems to except responsibility but the salesman goes into hysterics that we should have caught it bla bla bla....

no standard other than "just make it work"   :shoots_self:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

G_Town

Quote from: t-pat on December 03, 2012, 10:42:23 AM
Quote from: G_Town on December 03, 2012, 10:06:02 AMLemmie asks yas this....

no standard other than "just make it work"   :shoots_self:

This pisser is the customer more or or less agrees they screwed the pooch then the sales puke throws us under the bus to the customer, I mean wtf who pays your salary dude? :death:

gnubler

He is a weak, spineless prick - that's why he is an asskisser.

So, just a typical sales slime.

G_Town