Affinity Publisher 1.9

Started by Syphon, February 07, 2021, 11:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

According to the FAQ page it will not change anything in version 2.x. It says nothing about version 3.x though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jv58

Exactly. I've worked at way too many print shops where they get bought up (swallowed) by a bigger company. They always say nothing will change but things always change. I believe Canva is a subscription model.

Joe

It makes me believe there may not even be a version 3. Canva may just swallow the products up by then.

Slappy

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

Can't see why you'd choose the subscription unless the perpetual version license is going up significantly and you don't have the full wad of cash at the time, or they are saying Canva integration is only with the subscription to both services.
It only takes one "aw shit" to wipe out a whole bunch of "atta boys".

jv58

The game changer here is pledge #3. Giving out the Affinity suite for free to schools and non-profits will create a new generation of users who only know Affinity. It may not happen in my lifetime but this could kill the dynasty that is Adobe. I hope it is successful as Adobe became greedy once they became the only game in town (sorry Quark). Time will tell.

Joe

Quote from: jv58 on March 27, 2024, 12:45:40 PMThe game changer here is pledge #3. Giving out the Affinity suite for free to schools and non-profits will create a new generation of users who only know Affinity. It may not happen in my lifetime but this could kill the dynasty that is Adobe. I hope it is successful as Adobe became greedy once they became the only game in town (sorry Quark). Time will tell.
They were always greedy. Their plan was always to destroy their competition and then stick it to the users. Worked like a charm.

Rodi

That is terrible news!

Well, at least I can still work it out on Windows 11.

For all the things it has done right, this isn't one of them!

Canva is a no win situation from my perch.
Gabba Gabba Hey

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

Quote from: Rodi on March 27, 2024, 05:42:58 PMThat is terrible news!

Well, at least I can still work it out on Windows 11.

For all the things it has done right, this isn't one of them!

Canva is a no win situation from my perch.

I don't think they're merging the 2, maybe Canva wanted an entry into the desktop arena & this is the easiest  way to do that? Time will tell.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

I hope you're right. Something like using a stripped down version of Photo and Designer to create the assets you lay out in canva online, but the standalone desktop tools stay basically as they are. I'm not holding my breath at all, but I don't wanna look like a smurf for my final moments, but I hold out hope...
It only takes one "aw shit" to wipe out a whole bunch of "atta boys".