Mac not refreshing finder windows on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, August 07, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Prinergy here also and we work directly from the Prinergy job folders which are on the network. We do use the 'Document Fonts' folder as described in the above post. Inside the Prinergy job folder there is a folder named UserDefinedFolder that Prinergy creates in every new job. We put the Indesign file in that folder and also the 'Links' folder in there and the Document Fonts folder in there. Works great. But if it is Quark or anything else we always load the fonts locally on the Mac.

I can tell if you ever contact Adobe or Quark tech support for any problem and you tell them you are working from the server they will automatically blame it on that.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

"I can tell if you ever contact Adobe or Quark tech support for any problem and you tell them you are working from the server they will automatically blame it on that."

Yep. CYA.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

born2print

In fact, to that point, we upgraded to Prinergy 8.2.1 and upped our OS to 10.14.5.
Kodak says 10.13 supported.
Everything was fine except "search" function did not work, and as you know that seemingly minor function is damn handy all day every day in many ways.
First service call they had us muck with the Hosts files on the macs - nope.
Second call they had us take a mac down to 10.13 stating we didn't follow published OS restriction - nope.
Third call i got the right tech and it was simply credentials on a server was still old (we redid our virtualized Tertiary around the same time and our IT thought they had fixed all that but missed one)
So it does give them an out from having to solve a tricky issue sometimes.

Joe

Just don't upgrade your Macs to Catalina when it is released next month. Prinergy Workshop will run but VPS and Preps will not and Kodak has no timeline for when they will work. Also Prinergy 8.3 is compatible with OS X 10.14.x. I am planning to do that install soon due to an improvement made by Kodak for fonts that cause trapping failures.

QuoteAugust 13, 2019
KODAK PRINERGY products' status with macOS Catalina (10.15)

macOS Catalina (10.15) will be released as a free update between September and November of 2019. Only 64-bit applications can be run as support for 32-bit applications has been dropped and applications developed under older native Mac OS X API's such as Carbon are no longer supported.

At the release of macOS Catalina (10.15), the following applications will be supported running under 10.15:

KODAK COLORFLOW Client 8.4.0

The following applications will not be immediately supported under 10.15, and require product updates to be compatible with 10.15:

KODAK PRINERGY Workflow – Note that Workshop can be installed and run on macOS Catalina, however Virtual Proofing System (VPS), Preps, and Setup applications are not compatible with 10.15 at this time. VPS and Preps are vital components of the Prinergy workflow, and as such, this limitation means that Prinergy Workshop is not supported on 10.15.
    KODAK PREPS – Preps has not been updated to 64-bit as of the writing of this article. This means it is not compatible with macOS Catalina (10.15).
    KODAK PRINERGY EVO Workflow – The Prinergy Evo client is a native 32-bit application written in Carbon. It is not compatible with the 64-bit requirement in 10.15.
    KODAK PANDORA 8.4 – Pandora has been updated to 64-bit but an issue is under investigation relating to Java on this OS as of the writing of this article.
    KODAK PROOFING SOFTWARE for MATCHPRINT INKJET – KPS for MPI has not been updated to 64-bit as of the writing of this article. This means it is not compatible with macOS Catalina (10.15).

As products are updated to align with requirements for running under macOS Catalina (10.15), this information and the individual product release notes will be updated.

born2print

8.3 scares me though, have to upgrade the servers OS and Kodak tech must be onsite...
How many years has it been since they actually sent techs onsite?! What are they afraid of?!?!
#frightened

Joe

I am already running Windows 2012 R2 server which it is supposed to work with though they do recommend Windows 2016 Server. I recommend myself to be a millionaire and that ain't happening so I am going to risk it with 2012 Server.

Yes they require an onsite tech to do OS upgrades and truthfully I would not want to try to do that myself. I mean I know I can install windows but getting Prinergy installed and working after that is the scary part.

born2print

I htink we're gonna wait as long as possible, then do the full monty with 2016 server
I wish you luck though! :thumbsup:

Joe

I really, really, really need the font/trapping fix though.

:gom:

AaronH

So I think I may know why I have server issues. I can't find any .appledouble files of any kind on our server. I do have DS_Store files, but no .appledouble files - not even from when we were using AFP.

Is it possible to recreate those or am I toast?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

You are talking about the files that start with a period right? Any file that starts with a period is a hidden file. You won't see them if you don't have the option to see hidden files. Are you sure they aren't there? On our NAS SMB shares we can't see them from the Mac because by default Macs can't see files that start with a period but I can them from Windows because files that start with a period are not hidden on Windows.

But if they were missing I don't think that would cause the issues you have been seeing.

AaronH

No I can't see them on the server interface, which is web based. I can see all kinds of other hidden files on it though.

Thats unfortunate that it wouldn't solve the issue if we had them.

Joe

Do you have a windows computer you can create an SMB share just to try copying some files to and from the mac via SMB only and see if you still have these kinds of problems. If not then it is definitely in your NAS software.

AaronH

It is something with my NAS. Unfortunately I have no support to replace this system from management. I can copy and edit files on both windows and Mac SMB shares. For some reason my iMac still doesn't like AFP. I've attached a screenshot of the error I get when trying to open a PDF on the NAS if mounted via AFP. I don't get this issue with files from our FTP comp which is an older 2006 model iMac - the only issue there is to copy files to it (for proofing to customers if I can't get the file small enough to email), is that I usually have to hold the shortcut for copy when dragging icons (Holding the Option key).

I hate networking. I love trying to figure out why it doesn't work, but when I hit walls like this and can't get things to work right it drives me nuts.

Joe

Probably different AFP between the NAS and the Mac.

Would it be an option to reset the NAS back to factory defaults, then make sure the firmware is up to date on it, reformat the drives and recreate the shares? You know....in your free time. :rotf:

Joe

Also I would be interested to know how AFP would work from your NAS to the FTP comp which is an older 2006 model iMac. If it works from there then it is an incompatibility between AFP on the NAS and the newer version of AFP on your newer Macs.