Comcast Modems have no Wifi?

Started by Slappy, October 14, 2012, 08:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I'm on Fios, but my brother-in-law has been trying to get a Cisco/Linksys router working all weekend with his Comcast service. I finally asked why he wasn't just using the Wifi from the Comcast router and he said it didn't have any. wtf? This is a new one they just sent him too. Sure enough, it's a model Arris CM820 and far as I can tell there's no built-in wireless. Shit, even 10+ years ago when I had Comcast the basic Surfboard model had it - what gives?

I told him to call up & have them send him a decent one with WiFi, or buy one off of Newegg and save the $5/month they rent you one for at this point, especially if they try to day it'll cost more for the "added convenience" of wireless.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

almaink

My comcast modem has no wireless either, it isn't even a router, I think you have to request wireless to get it or buy your own. Some Macs let you set up a wireless network. No idea if windows can do it.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Farabomb

Nope, no wireless on comcast here either. Pick up a Netgear WGR-614 or the like cheap and you'll have wireless.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I have a dual band cico/linksys n router that I'm not using. I originally used with it comcast, and then clear over a year ago, but when i switched to at&t, i couldn't get it to work with at&t's 2wire modem. Now I've gone back to comcast, and they set me up with an n wifi cable modem, so it's a non-issue. Comcast has them - they lease them for $7/mo. Just call and have them upgrade you.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

After a few months of paying $7 you could buy a top of the line router and have some money left over for beer.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I've thought about that, but I decided a) if I had an issue, I could hold Comcast responsible instead of them shrugging it off as my problem and b) when the next generation of modems come out, I can always just call Comcast and get the latest and greatest without any out-of-pocket (well, I guess I am $7/mo out-of-pocket).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 15, 2012, 09:28:27 AMI've thought about that, but I decided a) if I had an issue, I could hold Comcast responsible instead of them shrugging it off as my problem and b) when the next generation of modems come out, I can always just call Comcast and get the latest and greatest without any out-of-pocket (well, I guess I am $7/mo out-of-pocket).

Still cheaper in the long run to go buy a new one when/if either of those things happen.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on October 15, 2012, 09:31:50 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on October 15, 2012, 09:28:27 AMI've thought about that, but I decided a) if I had an issue, I could hold Comcast responsible instead of them shrugging it off as my problem and b) when the next generation of modems come out, I can always just call Comcast and get the latest and greatest without any out-of-pocket (well, I guess I am $7/mo out-of-pocket).

Still cheaper in the long run to go buy a new one when/if either of those things happen.
I think it's a wash. If I spend $150 on a new dual band n wifi, that's about 22 months leasing from Comcast at $7/mo, and I get no support from Comcast on MY router. If I call Linksys, and they can't help (this happened to me with at&t/2wire and cisco/linksys), I'm screwed. This way, whether I lease from Comcast or buy my own, I can roughly get the latest and greatest every 2 years and make it their problem... and get something for my unreasonably high monthly access charge.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

If you pay $150 for an N router you need to get dinner bought for you first.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on October 15, 2012, 09:56:39 AMIf you pay $150 for an N router you need to get dinner bought for you first.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-WNDR4500/dp/B005KG44V0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350317204&sr=1-5&keywords=dual+band+n+wireless+router

Bought this one for work. When I was at Fry's, I looked around and this was the cheapest I could get dual band n with gigabit support. I understand you can find some cheaper now, but most are 100mb and not 1gb connection.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

I find Linksys/Cisco WRT-54xx routers at thrift stores all the time, for like $5. They are desirable (to me at least) because they can run alternate open source firmware such as DD-WRT and Tomato. What's cool about that is that you can have 2 of them linked seamlessly for extended coverage throughout the house and for me, out to the garage 50' away from the house.

Sometimes I find comcast modems too, but they're like $20 on ebay all day long so if you're renting one from them by all means go buy one off ebay or wherever and stop paying that rent. They don't have any issues with you providing a modem so long as it is on their list of approved modems.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Slappy

I don't doubt that it can be done, but he's like 40 minutes away & I don't want to drive out there and troubleshoot it every single time it screws up. And since he's on all PCs - it's going to. I'll push him to get a rental one from Comcrap with WiFi. That's the right answer.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

we actually have the same wifi setup here at work - 2 WRT-54xx wifi routers, up inside the drop ceiling. They require a power cycle once every couple years, but other than that are maintenance free. But I see the appeal of it not being your problem!
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait