New free Acrobat plugin from Enfocus.

Started by abc, August 11, 2014, 07:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 22, 2014, 09:35:24 AMABC, I have a question and suggestion for you regarding the plug-in.

Okay, so I have this book, which BTW, the plug-in worked perfectly minus on little snag... instead of embedding the font, the plug-in only subsets it. Now, this being a fairly large book, 1600 pages, most glyphs are covered so when I do type corrections I don't really have to worry about it.

BUT... what happens when I don't cover every character and need to do type corrections and do not have those characters/glyphs available? Wouldn't it be better for Prepress to have the font fully embed? I'm not a huge fan of subsetting. Kind of adds a lot of unnecessary work for us. I do have a workaround, but it requires extra time, which kind of defeats the purpose of a one-click fix.

Just a suggestion.

It's a legal thing regarding the licensing, but here's a funny thing. If you have substitute fonts being used, if you make the corrections before you embed the true font it seems to work, at least the times that I tried it. It's not a feature, it's just a side effect. But useful none the less.

abc

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 22, 2014, 09:47:12 AM:goodpost: I ran the automated PS embedding script the other day, and all ligatures turned into little boxes with "x"'s in them. It only did this on Mac; on Windows it ran fine. I didn't use the plug-in, though

If you have the files we'd be interested to take a look.

DigitalCrapShoveler

How can it be a "legal" thing if I already own the fonts being used? I just need them to embed, I'm not going to print money.
Member #285 - Civilian

abc

ahh sorry I thought you meant the fonts downloaded from Monotype.

With PitStop of course you can fully embed the fonts if you wish. The mechanism is the same but PitStop has extra options and Actions.

elko

are there any diffrencies (except the paid feature) between this plug-in and fixing "not embeded fonts" in preflight??......

abc

The font embedding and Monotype functionality are the same in both.