XMPie Qlingo for UPC Code

Started by Slappy, March 29, 2019, 12:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Anybody used this reliably? I've got 21,000 barcodes to generate and NO other way to do it. I have the range generated in a CSV file, so I think it's just a matter of encoding properly in XMPie but the documentation makes no sense - of course.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pabney

I use it all the time with this:

XMPBarcode("UPCA", "025192104404", "HideReadableText=true")

If your data does not have the check digit in it, xmpie will compute it.
I like to hide the readable text as I don't like the font xmpie uses.
Keep in mind that this is a graphic rule, not a text one.

Let me know if you are trying to do more with the format, as you can change other things like size and colors in the third parameter.

Slappy

Ahhhh, ok! I'll try to poke at it tomorrow - thanks!

Our mail shop guy can do it with his software too, just thought I'd do something cool with over expensive stuff!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

For some reason, I'm failing spectacularly at this. Sigh.

Although the mail shop guy finally got around to it using PrintShop mail. I asked what format the UPC was, to confirm it's UPC-A and he just told me he's not sure, he just used the "same font" as last time so it's probably OK.

pabney

What problem are you having?

Not sure how I can help. I do know that a font alone will not do it. Unlike a code39 barcode, a UPC code has to be encoded. Although there are some fonts out there like https://carolinabarcode.com/index.php?cPath=341 it would do no good with out the encoding part. You cant just use the numbers and apply a font. That is why xmpie creates a graphic for barcodes, no fonts needed. Internally it uses the Tec-IT engine to create them. You can download the Barcode Reference from http://www.tec-it.com/download/PDF/Barcode_Reference_EN.pdf

DigiCorn

I agree. What is the exact issue? Is it not mapped to the right font, or is it not producing a correct code? The code should look like this:
TDTDAAATAFTDTADTTDTFADFATTATAAFFDDATFTTFADAFDDTDFFADADDTTTDAATAAA
but with varying combinations of letter. We use Satori's font, even though we no longer use their software and it's fine.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pabney

I'm sorry, are we talking about a UPC code, or an intelligent mail barcode?
Two completely different animals.

DigiCorn

Quote from: pabney on April 04, 2019, 01:11:04 PM
I'm sorry, are we talking about a UPC code, or an intelligent mail barcode?
Two completely different animals.
I misread the posts. I thought it was an IMBC. He did say UPC-A. We don't use those here (at least not in a long time) so I'm out.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 04, 2019, 01:04:48 PM
I agree. What is the exact issue? Is it not mapped to the right font, or is it not producing a correct code? The code should look like this:
TDTDAAATAFTDTADTTDTFADFATTATAAFFDDATFTTFADAFDDTDFFADADDTTTDAATAAA
but with varying combinations of letter. We use Satori's font, even though we no longer use their software and it's fine.

Hey, that's what my grandson was saying to me last week. He's 2 years old.