PDF workflows... Is there file integrity?

Started by Aaron, February 07, 2008, 09:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Yep. Mine is a mixture of both.

NORM = Normalize Once Render Many... this can cause problems like the Rep was eluding to where a file can render differently from one machine to another. I have seen problems, (few and far between) with this. When I run proofs to my Epson, for example, it does it's own rendering separate from the plate screen set and I have seen a problem or two, maybe .01%.

ROOM = Render Once Output Many... This is more accurate but results in handling larger files (sometimes). Most RIPS use a low res set for placement in Preps (or other imposition software) which speeds things up tremendously. These files are FPO and get replaced with the high res screened files before releasing to plate. My HP Spinjet proof descreens the actual plate tiffs resulting in 100% accurate content on the proof. I also use late placement imposition meaning I can make a change to the imposed job in the workflow and send to plate or proof without having to open the prep again, it's freakin slick!

As far as speed, most new rips and the computers they are installed on are brutally fast and can chew through either ROOM or NORM job tickets in no time.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

jezza

I just dealt with a printer that wanted a Collect/Package  :cry: pdf/x wasn't any good. I knew I should have brokered the job  :shocked:
one sick prepress mofo

Aaron

Very interesting. Man learning is fun!!  :grin:

So a true PDF workflow is NORM (file integrity from one device to another is so-so). But everyone is doing it... how dangerous could it be...  :wink:

So the options are: ROOM = more file integity but slower rips with larger files. NORM = faster rips but small chance of file integrety issues.

And a fully automated workflow (customer can upload files, the rip rips it, and reposts online to client without a prepress tech touching the files) can only be acheived through a pdf workflow, right?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

born2print

Me too David, in fact I'm ripping one right now
 :undecided: <----nnnnnnnngheh
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

jezza

There are several ways of achieving auto ripped uploads if I understand you corrcetly. Check out Dalim TWiST workflow.

http://www.dalim.com/en/products/twist/

There are others, and this might start a flame war, but TWiST works well. Not cheap though

(Edited for typos)
one sick prepress mofo

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Aaron on February 07, 2008, 01:30:22 PMVery interesting. Man learning is fun!!  :grin:

So a true PDF workflow is NORM (file integrity from one device to another is so-so). But everyone is doing it... how dangerous could it be...  :wink:

So the options are: ROOM = more file integity but slower rips with larger files. NORM = faster rips but small chance of file integrety issues.

And a fully automated workflow (customer can upload files, the rip rips it, and reposts online to client without a prepress tech touching the files) can only be acheived through a pdf workflow, right?

No, I believe with Switch or any of its flavors, you can automate even if customers are uploading natives...but someone correct me if Im wrong, I only demo'd Switch..

also fwiw, I dont think there is a "TRUE fully automated workflow", there will still be some user intervention somewhere in the flow of jobs..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: Aaron on February 07, 2008, 01:30:22 PMVery interesting. Man learning is fun!!  :grin:

So a true PDF workflow is NORM (file integrity from one device to another is so-so). But everyone is doing it... how dangerous could it be...  :wink:

I've found that with my customers this is a pipe dream. Others customers mileage may vary.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on February 07, 2008, 01:42:31 PM
Quote from: Aaron on February 07, 2008, 01:30:22 PMVery interesting. Man learning is fun!!  :grin:

So a true PDF workflow is NORM (file integrity from one device to another is so-so). But everyone is doing it... how dangerous could it be...  :wink:

No, I believe with Switch or any of its flavors, you can automate even if customers are uploading natives...but someone correct me if Im wrong, I only demo'd Switch..

also fwiw, I dont think there is a "TRUE fully automated workflow", there will still be some user intervention somewhere in the flow of jobs..

Oh there is if you have customer supplied perfect files. Never seen one of the critters myself but I've heard others have spotted them. Where is Matt when you need him?  :cheesy:

born2print

LOL!
I think there's a magical kingdom called "publications" where the files always come in perfect and consistent and the schedule never changes...
um, what was the question? I was just day-dreaming

Aaron

Ya, obviously not all clients would be able to use an auto-post workflow, but I have a few clients that are smart enough and "usually" know what they are doing and could benefit from it.

And I understand there is no true complete automated workflow. the impo and college kid at the platee box is still needed. But the auto rip and post would be cool.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

born2print

ninjaPB_43

yep, automation is indeed cool..  but also expensive..  so really it depends on your shops particular needs and the ROI on any investments you would make like spending  close to $3000 for Pitstop Server, and then another several thousand on Switch, and then...   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Ear

Quote from: jezza  on February 07, 2008, 01:39:57 PMThere are several ways of achieving auto ripped uploads if I understand you corrcetly. Check out Dalim TWiST workflow.

http://www.dalim.com/en/products/twist/

There are others, and this might start a flame war, but TWiST works well. Not cheap though

(Edited for typos)

I've never actually used Dalim but I have prepress friends that have compared it to and worked with many others and I understand it to be one of the top in not the best workflow out there, but it'll cost ya!

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on February 07, 2008, 02:08:05 PMI've never actually used Dalim but I have prepress friends that have compared it to and worked with many others and I understand it to be one of the top in not the best workflow out there, but it'll cost ya!

I had a demo at Graph Expo in Oct. 2006. Very impressive as was the price.  Was cheaper than Apogee X though.

Aaron

Well let me post this dangerous question:

Anyone like the NORM of Pinergy better then Rampage or vise versa? Or is NORM the same thing on any workflow software?