1D barcodes for Web URL's

Started by David, April 21, 2011, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

ok new project.

somebody here "heard" about a traditional bar code (I'm assuming from the phrase they mean a 1D code as opposed to a 2D or QR code) that you can scan with your smart phone that will launch a web browser and take you to a web site.

As a reference, it was supposedly a coke product that had a scannable upc code with a url link. (I can't find it... yet)

Anyone know of the software or company doing this?

the goog is not much help with this.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

I think I saw a square bar code like this on a Taco Bell drink container the pressman had. It's a qr code. It looks like this?

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

youston

Quote from: DigiSig on April 21, 2011, 10:28:57 AMI think I saw a square bar code like this on a Taco Bell drink container the pressman had. It's a qr code. It looks like this?

Good God, man, do you make ANY effort to read the post before responding to it?!?

Quote from: david on April 21, 2011, 10:02:04 AM(I'm assuming from the phrase they mean a 1D code as opposed to a 2D or QR code)

David, I'm almost 100% sure that somebody at your shop 'heard' wrong, or the person they 'heard' it from was talking out of their ass.

David

that's what I was thinking, for the simple reason 1D bar codes can't use punctuation (like a period for a web address).

but still, I have to "act" like I'm doing "research".

now they want an app for it. and oh, can we do hundreds of them?

kill me now
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

@Youston, I was confirming if this is what he was looking for and that it IS a QR code, not a 1D.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

nope, don't want a QR code, it has to be a UPC, EAN, or something of that type of 1D code.

thanks
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Tell them to produce a sample or stfu. I do a ton of reading 2D codes, never once heard of anything like you're describing. There are Micro QR Codes, but they're just limited to the amount of data they carry If  Ithink of it, I can ask around but that's not a whole lot of info to go on really.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

yep, that's what I'm finding as well.

It's always "I know a guy..." or "I heard of...",  no actual proof of anyofthisshit

Slappy, out of curiosity, what software do you use for your 2D codes?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Stiv

IMO, 1d barcodes can only contain a string of numbers. In order to get to a URL you would need a 2D code like the QR. There are many other 2d codes than the QR.

Slappy

Quote from: david on April 21, 2011, 12:04:16 PMSlappy, out of curiosity, what software do you use for your 2D codes?
For one-offs I use a web-based API like this one. It's the nicest, most feature rich one I've found. Plus, that guy has THE best scanning app out, Qrafter. I know IDAutomation sells a QR font & encoder for large batches too. I looked at their utility once, but we haven't had to do any in large enough numbers to justify a purchase yet. the newest version of FusionPro will create them based on a database too, but I don't think you have very much control over things like error correction, matrix size, etc.

Yeah, I've kind of turned into a QR junkie over the last year or so.  :lipsrsealed:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

youston

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Is anyone else here using FusionPro to do barcodes? I watched some of the tutes when I first installed it, but we don't do anything with barcodes (yet). It installs a bunch of barcode fonts into the Library Fonts folder and I've been afraid to remove them as FP is already shaky enough.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david