Awesome monitor

Started by frailer, September 13, 2007, 02:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Have just started road-testing the first TFT monitor that comes anywhere near prepress standard for a reasonable price. They are big in Europe, apparently, but haven't hit here yet. Also testing basICCOLOUR calibration software/hardware. NEC and basICCOLOUR been working together on this for a few years together.
Monitor is NEC 2090UXi, [21"']. About $1220 [AUS $]
The only thing that comes close are the EIZOs, and they are big$$; not too much competition till now.
I have worn serious egg-on-face over a new monitor, after getting a Samsung 226BW. This will enable me to clean it off.

The NEC is a full multisync, so can be calibrated for white point, luminance and contrast, unlike many out there. Before anyone makes the leap from CRT, [let's face it, we're being pushed], make sure to acquaint yourself with different panel technologies first. It's critical. The NEC is an advanced IPS panel. Means the best technology on the market for colour, viewing angle, [it's huge]. Colour shift with viewing angle change with the mass market Tn panels is a PAIN. Pixel pitch is really important as well.

Anyway, Google it and have a squizz. Any questions, I can bore you witless here, having just been through it. ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gtrev

I went to a trade night a month back & sat thru an Agfa rep talking a whole bunch of fluff about certain monitors and their soft proofing software. Sounded really cool if you've got the folding money - a pdf viewed remotely gathers the information about the kind of monitor & conditions the pdf is viewed under - If it meets required conditions - and is signed off everyone is covered! They mentioned a site that could'nt cope keeping up with inkjet proofs - so the press guy gets one of these fancy screens next to his console as well!
What proof?

almaink

I've been running NEC monitors for years now. One is 8 years old and still alive & kickin'. Eye one calibration software.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

kermit

Read this about your Samsung 226:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

This NEC you are talking about is really a great monitor but I need something bigger.

How about those two at half the price of NEC:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/629-1/24-pouces-dell-2407wfp-vs-samsung-244t.html
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

frailer

Great article on the 226BW, kermit. That site sure is bookmarked. Was aware of the stuff in the S & A panels, but the sites I visited suggested that the issue had been "resolved". I don't think so. I may well have purchased an A panel. What's your reading of that article? Do they imply that you can use the 226BW profile, available for download, to improve an A panel 226BW on a Mac? It seems to imply that further on, though the screenshots are all PC. If you have any idea on that, I'd like to find out.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying about cheaper alternnatives to the 2090 NEC, but I'm still wary of going for S-PVA as against S-IPS, at this stage. A bit apples'n'pears I reckon. The other thing is that the NEC panel is an A-TW-IPS, which has better white rendition, [TW standing for True White]. I only did Physics to pre-college, in your parlance, but it sure gets techie at the level they're reporting. That's OK, don't get me wrong, it's just I don't claim to understand ALL of it. ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

almaink wrote:

QuoteI've been running NEC monitors for years now. One is 8 years old and still alive & kickin'. Eye one calibration software

LOL almaink. I have a colleague who's pretty LCD phobic. have just about given up; so. back onto ebay and picked up an NEC 1355 22" flat screen MultiSync 0.24 dot pitch, manufacture 10/02. Pretty damn good. Pretty steep, though, at $43.65. As I said, LOL ;D