Indesign CS5 Requirements for MAC?

Started by PrepressCrapFixer, January 26, 2011, 12:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrepressCrapFixer

I have found myself facing the reality that I will have to update to CS5 soon.  Is it true that in order to run CS5 I will have to be running an Intel Mac?  Currently I have 2 G5 PPC, is it possible to run CS5 on one of these older boxes?
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Joe

Nope. Intel only and only Leopard or Snow Leopard.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 26, 2011, 12:39:11 PMNope. Intel only and only Leopard or Snow Leopard.
That is true.

Or you could do what we did - build a super Windows 7 box at a fraction of the cost of a new Intel Mac and run CS5 on it. When you get a Mac CS5 file, open it in windows and export it as an idml. Then work it in CS4 on the Mac. That way you can save money now and buy your Intel Mac later.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

PrepressCrapFixer

Thanks Joe.  I thought I had read some ramblings in the past to that point.  I think I will be waiting a lot longer for my upgrade since my company is struggling pretty bad with the shrinking industry and of course the crappy economy.   :rolleyes: I know, join the club.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Joe

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on January 26, 2011, 12:51:02 PMThanks Joe.  I thought I had read some ramblings in the past to that point.  I think I will be waiting a lot longer for my upgrade since my company is struggling pretty bad with the shrinking industry and of course the crappy economy.   :rolleyes: I know, join the club.

I hear that. Luckily for us people are still wanting their phone books printed. If we didn't have them...shudder...I don't even want to think about it. :pileofpoo

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on January 26, 2011, 01:47:37 PMPhone books?

But really, who here uses phone books now and how frequently? I look at a yellow pages maybe once a year. For local addresses & #s I'm always going right to The Goog.

I'm on your side Joe, but it's a huge waste of paper. People that have landline service should have to request a phone book instead of automatically getting one. I bet 95% are never even looked at and go right to the "recycling" bin.

gnubler

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on January 26, 2011, 01:52:31 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 26, 2011, 01:47:37 PMPhone books?

But really, who here uses phone books now and how frequently? I look at a yellow pages maybe once a year. For local addresses & #s I'm always going right to The Goog.

I'm on your side Joe, but it's a huge waste of paper. People that have landline service should have to request a phone book instead of automatically getting one. I bet 95% are never even looked at and go right to the "recycling" bin.

I think I get about 6 different phone books at my house a year. I do not order them and only one of them come from the actual phone company. I do look in the yellow pages occasionally because most small businesses here either do not have a web site or it hasn't been updated since Lincoln was President.

Supposedly there is a law somewhere that phone books cannot be published online unless there is also a printed version. One of the phone book publishers told us that so I don't know if that is true or not. I've been trying to get my company to look into doing online publishing. I've gotten their attention but still no action yet. The issue of publishing phone books online for us is getting the database and being able to do something with it.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on January 26, 2011, 01:59:50 PMI do look in the yellow pages occasionally because most small businesses here either do not have a web site or it hasn't been updated since Lincoln was President.

They're still listed in the online yellow pages and almost always on Google maps. That's what I use when I'm just looking for a phone number for a local business.

David

weird...
I just got my new copy of the Yellow Pages book dropped off on my doorstep yesterday, and on top of it was a disk. It has the entire Yellow and White pages on the disk in the page flipper format.

Look out Joe...
doomed
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

WTF is going to use that? All the directories are already online. I know there's a small number of people who don't use the Internet, but they probably don't use a computer, period, and don't know how to insert a disk or read files on it.