Rocky Mountain News Dead At 150

Started by Joe, February 27, 2009, 03:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

DENVER—The Rocky Mountain News published its final edition today, with its ownership unable to find a buyer in what could become a nationwide epidemic as publishers fight both a terrible economy and a migration of readers and advertisers away from the printed newspaper.

Rich Boehne, CEO of parent company E.W. Scripps, broke the news to staff at noon on Thursday. The Rocky, as it was commonly referred to, lost $16 million in 2008 and ownership had been trying to find a buyer for the past three months. Denver, like most large American cities, will now have one newspaper, the Post.

The paper employs about 225 people. It was two months shy of its 150th anniversary.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Reinvent yourself people.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Foozball

I read about that! Sad day indeed. :cry:
Believe it or not, it's kind of giving me motivation to get back into newspapers!

My mother sent me over some copies of the old paper I used to work at, and if I said it's "visually impressive" and "CRAPS all over the US newspapers" that would be an understatement. It what happens when you employ a SOLID production crew, and cut down those fat headed, ego-maniac journalists!  :wink:
Might take a photo of the covers and post it here!?