cleaning out some old boxes

Started by tuff_gong, January 07, 2013, 10:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuff_gong

Seriously - I have thousands of dollars in old software on floppy disc - is there any use for it at all? Not trying to make money off it, just hate to throw away if anyone could use it.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: tuff_gong on January 07, 2013, 01:44:06 PMSeriously - I have thousands of dollars in old software on floppy disc - is there any use for it at all? Not trying to make money off it, just hate to throw away if anyone could use it.
Try an inner-city school
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

For what?

Put them on the Portland or Seattle craigslist for free, titled "Old floppies for crafts" or some crap. They make purses and shit out of that stuff.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

tuff_gong

Slappy made a cabinet or shelf or some damn thing out of old Syquest cartridges.

tuff_gong

Found a Sketchpad floppy - who remembers the pasteboard extender debacle? Also found some floppies I saved with Autostart virus samples - a goldmine, I'm tellin' ya!

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on January 07, 2013, 01:56:37 PMFor what?
I figure Michelle Pfeiffer is ready to teach graphic design. People are always giving old computers to inner city schools. They still use 3.5" and 5-1/4" floppies.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Anyone remember the CueCat? I found mine.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

pasteboard extender, I remember...

stupid, why you would need a larger spot to put shit you don't want on the page?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tuff_gong

And then you couldn't open the document if you didn't have the extension.

gnubler

David

then came pasteboard exterminator
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

How about ScanMan? It was a hand scanner. We put the results into Corel Draw. Don't have the scanner anymore, but I found the instruction book.

Born, I still use a copy of Art Explosion I got cheap off eBay. I still use a roller burnisher at work to flatten booklets that didn't fold tightly enough.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on January 07, 2013, 02:11:21 PMAnyone remember the CueCat? I found mine.
Was that the free one from Radio Shack? I think I have one lying around somewhere... it was PS2 or serial... I forget.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

wow, this thread is a trip down memory lane.

My First Job® had networking...which was all fancy back in 1990. I remember they looked like phone jacks. What was that? I remember the term "phone net".
Anyways, they had a 9600 baud modem which was blazing fast for the time. They even had a customer whose files went straight to the imagesetter (linotronic).
It was while working there I read about this amazing new storage device that could hold the data hundreds of floppies: A CD storage device.   :old:

So futuristic!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david