EFI RIP turning black tint green

Started by G_Town, January 20, 2015, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

Quote from: G_Town on January 20, 2015, 03:55:19 PMAnd now he claims he has the right printer description, but this from the guy that had our 9900 and T7200 using the same IP.
Like I said not feeling real strong about the dude. Those that can't do color manage I suppose.

if hes like ours, he'll come back in 3 weeks and tell you there was nothing wrong, it was a "user issue"... :death:

Quote from: G_Town on January 20, 2015, 03:53:08 PMwhen I say IT I mean or color guy. We can't so much as set up in new printer on our Macs without IT support. Lock DOWN!

shit, im still locked out of almost everything. lost the fonts battle, they allow me to install truetypes and otf but any type 2's (WHICH OUR WHOLE FUCKING ARCHIVE IS BUILT ON) are off limits. every fucking InD file opens with font warnings.. I LOVE COMPETENCY.

I cant even set a custom page size on our wide format because it involves dicking around with print preferences. i thank the lord that my RIP units are off their network and they cant touch them.

the irony is that this is all done in the name of "security".. so my work around?  i bring in my laptop, which im freely allowed to plug in, browse the network, print my shit as intended, just to get a job done correctly. and, its the same laptop i use for all my questionable app installs, hacked wares, etc... probably more virus-infected that a $5.00 whore, but what do i care?

David

weird, why let truetype fonts and not type 2? Ours is the other way round, they dislike truetype but will take type 2 and otf fonts all day.

Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

Quote from: david on January 21, 2015, 08:22:59 AMweird, why let truetype fonts and not type 2? Ours is the other way round, they dislike truetype but will take type 2 and otf fonts all day.

supposedly something with user accounts and win7. they allow me to drop files in the \windows\fonts folder, but i guess they way win7 handles type 2's it does a registry mod or touches something else that our IT wont allow.  They wont entertain the idea of a font manager.   

When we had XP, anything went, but win7, they went nuts on user accounts & security.. i understand theres knuckleheads out there and theres reasons to have it, but jesus, to the point where i cant do my job?

Our IT acts like they are the final know-all be-all authority on everything. there are a few smart techs that recognize and step back and ask questions and get educated, but most come in with the ego and hide behind policy when they cant figure it out.

we lost our old rip once, i watched for 2 weeks as they struggled to get the adobe PS drivers working, REFUSED to let me touch it.  eventually, they let me do my thing.. not saying im the big cheese or anything, just the best brain on the current staff. i WISH someone would come in here with more knowledge than me..

G_Town

I've never worked at a place before where the Mac's in prepress were under the watchful eye of our IT masters. Makes for an interesting dilemma when a press goes down and we can't use an app because the server that has all of our licensing software needs to be rebooted and I have to put in a help ticket with the IT overlords to just get it rebooted. I have had to wait hours before someone got back to me.

I'm surprised they don't have us locked out of making changes to our workflows in Nexus.

Oh this is a funneh one, had some problematic files going through Nexus PDF rip (which sucks IMHO). Anyway files got caught in some kind of loop and starting gobbling up all the disk space on the RIP. So IT gets an alert and demands that we stop sending "illegal" files through the RIP.  Sure they might be undocumented files but that definitely aren't Illegal.

I just need to learn that the reason we are here is so that IT can do their job and we are merely support for them. :banana:

delooch

ours FLIPPED OUT when they found i was temporarily installing fonts that accompanied jobs on the old XP box.  even though i printed out the goddamn font licence and usage terms, they still accused me of installing wares that wenent obtained "legally"...

most of my aggrivation here doesnt come from idiot clients, but the idiots i work with, who are supposed to be supporting me...

Farabomb

The fact they they lock down your box but still allow you to freely attach the laptop to the network negates any of the security issues they have your box locked down for. The GF works for the state and she can't even plug in a USB to charge her phone.

I can understand system security but when it impacts the work there should be a compromise. Then again I worked at a place where  I had to sign NDA's but kept said files on a FTP that a child could hack.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

Quote from: Farabomb on January 21, 2015, 10:20:22 AMThe fact they they lock down your box but still allow you to freely attach the laptop to the network negates any of the security issues they have your box locked down for. The GF works for the state and she can't even plug in a USB to charge her phone.

thats whats so goddamn frustrating, its like they are there to throw up road blocks and difficulty.  they spew out all this bullshit about security, but any machine will accept a USB stick with full access, shit, i can even boot my work box from the usb stick into a different OS.

the wireless access is secure, but i can plug into any cat5 jack with full access and network browsing ability.  the goddamn web proxy isnt even locked down. I cant access novell shares (understandable), but really? how about a simple unrecognized MAC address lockout?  its really amazing...

maybe im just singled out for being an asshole, but they made me this way...

Farabomb

Novell? I haven't seen that since 1999.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

yeah, we are high-tech.  you should see some of the hardware they are keeping alive...

Ear

Quote from: delooch on January 21, 2015, 10:53:26 AMmaybe im just singled out for being an asshole, but they made me this way...
Quote of the week. Possible Sig material.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

Livin' la Vida Loca