Converting CMYK or RGB to Grayscale with Acrobat?

Started by prepressDog, April 07, 2011, 06:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepressDog

Im wondering what others do...
Most of the time we have a B&W job... its not built that way. Ha. Sure most others deal with the same.
We just use the convert color tool in Acrobat.... pick Gamma gray 1.8 or 2.2 (never see much diff?)
Then Print... Or we print directly from the color, depending which looks better.
Is there a better way to do this?

Here is an example of color file after converting
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8525742/B4print%20Weird%20Gray%20haze%20Test.pdf

One of my questions... when we convert using acrobat to Gamma Gray 1.8 or 2.2....seems like there is a "haze" or transparency overlay. making everything look flat. When I select a Pic, using the edit orig tool in acrobat. Open it in PhotoShop. Looks different. Nice... Not like a haze overlay???
Is there a way to make it look sharper?? With out editing every pic?

Joe

I'm no color management expert but I've heard from a guy that used to post here that if you setup your color management in Adobe Bridge the way you want it, for example like your Photoshop is setup, that you can tell all of the other Adobe apps to use the Bridge settings so all Adobe apps will convert the same way.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on April 07, 2011, 09:30:10 AMI'm no color management expert but I've heard from a guy that used to post here that if you setup your color management in Adobe Bridge the way you want it, for example like your Photoshop is setup, that you can tell all of the other Adobe apps to use the Bridge settings so all Adobe apps will convert the same way.
That's how I have our machines set up.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

What's color management? "We don't do that here"  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

We manage to get color onto the sheet and that's about it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

If it looks good on my screen I just push print.

gnubler

frailer

I seem to find strange differences in a lot of non-grayscale but mono-required files that we get. I use whatever combination works; the biggest problem stepping around is retaining or restoring 100K type, but also having images go washed-out, or transparency go whacky.
Regularly use what you do, but also PitStop GCs/EALs/Inspector, but also Quite A Box Of Tricks. Images I'll sometimes 'fix' by extracting into PhSh, after I've been flailing around with the scythe.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

In the color conversions you can tell Acrobat to keep black objects. It is limited in what it can do though. If you find that you have odd "blacks", like some 4/c blacks and non 0,0,0 RGB blacks then strange things can happen. This is where PitStop Pro and callas pdfToolbox really come in handy. It's pretty easy in both to get a good conversion to gray. A bit easier in pdfToolbox, but pretty easy in both.

The Gamma 2.2 and 1.8, gamma 2.2 darkens the picture and 1.8 lightens it up. People use them instead of profiles for dot gain. Depending on what you are converting it may be advantageous to use one of the gamma profiles. But you can also build your own fake ICC profile for grayscale in PhotoShop for linear gray. Then you can import that into Acrobat Pro and use it. I made one that was linear but the 90-100 tints were set to 100.

Your mileage may vary...
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

prepressDog

Thanks All.... I will mess around with few of the tips n tricks.
B&W is an Art... Feel people get away from that. Just convert and go...
Stamp and Process.
But... when we can. At least myself.. like to go the extra steps, when can. and make it look best we can.
All the feedback is very helpful... Tks again!

TGIF!!!

gnubler

prepressDog

Just went to check my color settings in Bridge. Was on North America Gen Purp 2.
Changing to North American Prepress2? Give it a shot... Idk which was using b4?

What are others using?