Upgrade to imac and CS5 Help??

Started by prepressDog, June 29, 2011, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on June 29, 2011, 10:27:58 AMI've had mine for almost a year: 27 inch i7 with 8GB of ram and have had really no problems. Way better than the old G5 and once you get used to the glossy monitor.....thats fine too. My computer is in a darkened part of the room so the glare is not a problem.

Oh man, I bet that i7 screams. Mine is only a Core 2 Duo (last one before going to the i3, i5, i7) and it is a LOT faster than my dual proc G5. It's a 24" too. I want a new 27" i7.  :cry:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

t-pat

um yeah I spose I should not complain:

Model Name:   Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacPro5,1
  Processor Name:   6-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:   2.93 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   2
  Total Number Of Cores:   12
  L2 Cache (per core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache (per processor):   12 MB
  Memory:   16 GB
 :ninja2:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on June 29, 2011, 03:54:03 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfx on June 29, 2011, 10:27:58 AMI've had mine for almost a year: 27 inch i7 with 8GB of ram and have had really no problems. Way better than the old G5 and once you get used to the glossy monitor.....thats fine too. My computer is in a darkened part of the room so the glare is not a problem.

Oh man, I bet that i7 screams. Mine is only a Core 2 Duo (last one before going to the i3, i5, i7) and it is a LOT faster than my dual proc G5. It's a 24" too. I want a new 27" i7.  :cry:

I see a 27" i7 on the refurb site with a 256 gb SSD drive for $1999. :drool:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on June 29, 2011, 04:16:17 PMI see a 27" i7 on the refurb site with a 256 gb SSD drive for $1999. :drool:

Get Out!
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 29, 2011, 05:03:03 PM
Quote from: Joe on June 29, 2011, 04:16:17 PMI see a 27" i7 on the refurb site with a 256 gb SSD drive for $1999. :drool:

Get Out!

My thoughts exactly. :laugh:

prepressDog

Ok, You Guys Rock!!

My boss wants me to get him pricing by next Tues for upgrading the 2 Older G5 towers that I posted about...

Can I get some feed back what would be the best Fit. If you were in my shoes...

Like to say ok for $5gs you can do it all (need to sit aside $1,900, of the $5,000 in Adobe CS5 CS Pro UpGrade, which I think is Ridiculous!!) Just because they are still @ CS3. For now on... since you have to pay anyway if you skip. Thinking stupid not just upgrade Everytime. unless strapped for cash. at the time.

Everyone i have know in here for quite some time and Trust you All Very well....

So, Thank YOU for Any and All the Feedback. Very LUCKY to have this Forum  :hello:

prepressDog

again... if you all think the New imacs a perfect fit. and need to beef up RAM to 8gb per. Is it cheaper to buy first >>> then add Ram?? Joe?

Mby we can do it For around $6gs (2gs software, 2gs each imac X2)

$5gs seems bare Min on the imacs... this is prepress... need lil more Beefiness. Ha.

Thanks AGAIN... You ALL helped make some Ol' Prepress Operators Very Happy... plus it should speed things UP.
These old G5 PPC are draggin a bit...

prepressDog

Plus Plus... then will all be on CS5 workflow...
(i have CS5 on my Intel Mac, but cant use, except for customer files)

Ear

I would say keep an eye on the refurb section. Deals come and go daily. I think the iMac is plenty of machine for prepress... not like we're rendering video for Pixar or anything. Besides, you can save money over a tower by not having to purchase the monitor. Just make sure you don't skimp... get what you want/need, could be a few more years before the opportunity presents its self again and you don't want to be kicking yourself. Go for the 27". I just poked into the refurb area of Apple and saw some sweet 27s. But ya, 5k is just a little lean, considering you need software too. Seems like you would need 5k for the two macs alone... need to beef up the ram, etc...
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

When we upgraded from CS3 to CS5 it was under $700.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Refurb. Free shipping but not including tax.

$1869.00 x 2 = $3728

Adobe CS 5.5 upgrade @ CDW.com $922.99 x 2 =$1845.98 (not including tax or shipping)

Memory upgrade from Mac Sales (Other World Computing)

8 gb RAM $89.99 x 2 =$179.98 (not including tax or shipping)

or go for broke...

16 gb of RAM $$179.00 x 2 = $358 (not including tax or shipping)

8 gb option - $3278 + $1845.98 + $179.98 = $5303.96

16 gb option - $3278 + $1845.98 + $358 = $5481.98

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Ouch. It's the CS update that hurts the most. I just updated mine and they didn't even give a sample pack of lube or anything... it felt hard and sandpapery.  :cry:

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 11:01:33 AMOuch. It's the CS update that hurts the most. I just updated mine and they didn't even give a sample pack of lube or anything... it felt hard and sandpapery.  :cry:
And it's not like they're gentle either...  :whip:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway