Upgrade to imac and CS5 Help??

Started by prepressDog, June 29, 2011, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

Does it integrate nicely with The Book?  :toaster: At what res are the retina scans run?

Doomed.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on June 30, 2011, 11:14:19 AMBuilt-in FaceTime HD camera

Does it integrate nicely with The Book?  :toaster: At what res are the retina scans run?

Doomed.

Lighten up Francis.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 11:01:33 AMOuch. It's the CS update that hurts the most. I just updated mine and they didn't even give a sample pack of lube or anything... it felt hard and sandpapery.  :cry:

They really punish you for not upgrading to CS 4 & 5. And they know when they have you by the short hairs. :death:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

What about CS 5.75 and CS 5.875?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Sorry, we only sell in eighths.. no dimebags, Dave.  :whip:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: Joe on June 30, 2011, 10:35:55 AMRefurbished iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

Refurb. Free shipping but not including tax.

$1869.00 x 2 = $3728

Adobe CS 5.5 upgrade @ CDW.com $922.99 x 2 =$1845.98 (not including tax or shipping)

Memory upgrade from Mac Sales (Other World Computing)

8 gb RAM $89.99 x 2 =$179.98 (not including tax or shipping)

or go for broke...

16 gb of RAM $$179.00 x 2 = $358 (not including tax or shipping)

8 gb option - $3278 + $1845.98 + $179.98 = $5303.96

16 gb option - $3278 + $1845.98 + $358 = $5481.98

Gotta love this guy's late night research. And, as Spike Milligan once famously said, when a skit came unstuck: "It's all free, folks!"    :laugh:

Yeah, I've reluctantly come around to liking my i7/27" iMac. Though I still don't like the glossy covering. Having said that, Apple actually stated that they are S-IPS panels in them. Try not to go for the small one...

OWC RAM! Don't upgrade that with Apple. You lose points on-forum for that.   :tongue:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Quote from: frailer on June 30, 2011, 03:43:11 PMGotta love this guy's late night research. And, as Spike Milligan once famously said, when a skit came unstuck: "It's all free, folks!"    :laugh:

uuhhh, bro, it's middle of the day.  :hello:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

Dude, it's Frailer - anything goes.

At least he kinda typed English that time.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

:laugh: Dammit, now I gotta go.

prepressDog

Quote from: Joe on June 30, 2011, 10:35:55 AMRefurbished iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

Refurb. Free shipping but not including tax.

$1869.00 x 2 = $3728

Adobe CS 5.5 upgrade @ CDW.com $922.99 x 2 =$1845.98 (not including tax or shipping)

Memory upgrade from Mac Sales (Other World Computing)

8 gb RAM $89.99 x 2 =$179.98 (not including tax or shipping)

or go for broke...

16 gb of RAM $$179.00 x 2 = $358 (not including tax or shipping)

8 gb option - $3278 + $1845.98 + $179.98 = $5303.96

16 gb option - $3278 + $1845.98 + $358 = $5481.98

Thanks Joe! Wow! Didn't think 16gb would only be a little more. At that point might as well!
And see only the 27in can hold 16gb.... Fast as things are moving. 16gb good idea. And 27in to work with everyday would be GREAT! (just used to drool @ best buy thinking about.)
Would you get Apple care??
Thanks again for All the info. Thought we could've only got 22in @ that price range?
Do most of you buy refurbished?? Good idea kinda I read because, if they had issues they have fixed them and went back over machines in more detail. Than just getting one New & mass produced. Plus saving money. And guessing still have warranty / allow add Apple Care for 3yrs on top?

Joe

The refurbs come with one year of Apple Care. Last I checked bumping that from 1 to 3 years, no you don't get the 1 year plus 3 more - only a total of 3 years, was $169. Might be higher now. I highly recommend it on the iMacs. Logic board or display goes south in that 3 year time span and you are looking at $1K+ to get it fixed without Apple Care.

I and we at work only buy refurbs. Haven't been bitten yet.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: frailer on June 30, 2011, 03:43:11 PMGotta love this guy's late night research. And, as Spike Milligan once famously said, when a skit came unstuck: "It's all free, folks!"    :laugh:

uuhhh, bro, it's middle of the day.  :hello:

I guess it was the middle of the night for frailer though. :laugh:

prepressDog

Thanks for the link! And laying it all out like that.... (That was very cool of you!)
Guessing you just handled this for your shop?

After reading the link... I see 1yr warranty included!
 & Apple care can be bought. Cool!

Still .... Would you get the extra Apple Care??