Density vs. Dot percentage

Started by G_Town, September 03, 2010, 11:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

Just talking to a chicken the other day about this. Is there any correlation between density and dot percentage specifically is it possible to make a 1 to 1 comparison? I mean I know the more density the more color yada yada.

In other words, 5 density points would equal 3 dot percentage points? Is there anything "official" about this out there?

You get what I'm asking?

Me and the Chicken are just curious.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Interesting question, but I have never heard of any conversion method. In these situations I do what everyone else probably does... make a visual observation on press and translate that to the file for re-plating.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Right right same here just wondering if anyone had ever done anything like that.

It's more of I wonder if more than it must be kinda thing.

Joe

Density of the printed sample or the plate? Either way, whatever the max density is would be 100%, minimum density would be 1%. Put the numbers from each in a spreadsheet and you'll see the correlation. I think youston could do this for you. He's a smart guy with numbers.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on September 03, 2010, 11:53:48 AMDensity of the printed sample or the plate? Either way, whatever the max density is would be 100%, minimum density would be 1%. Put the numbers from each in a spreadsheet and you'll see the correlation. I think youston could do this for you. He's a smart guy with numbers.

Printed sample for example cyan density (SID) at 120 vs 145 would there be a definable visual dot percentage amount?

Joe

In a perfect world it would but throwing dot gain into the mix and it's anybody's guess.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Yea just wondering, if my dot gain was constant I wonder if I could figure something out. :undecided:

Youston get your big "The computer who wore Tennis shoes" brain over here.

Chilbear

Density and dot are two different readings. Density is the "thickness" of the ink and dot is the amount of light reflecting off the sheet I believe.

G_Town

Quote from: Chilbear on September 03, 2010, 02:05:45 PMDensity and dot are two different readings. Density is the "thickness" of the ink and dot is the amount of light reflecting off the sheet I believe.

I understand that but the two are tied together, a density of 130 on a press sheet is going to make a 50% dot appear different than a density of 175.

You know making a file change vs playing with density to adjust color on press.

David

...the appearance difference is due to the ink thickness. The dot will be the same size, just a weaker tint.

maybe..

where's my drink?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: david on September 03, 2010, 02:45:00 PM...the appearance difference is due to the ink thickness. The dot will be the same size, just a weaker tint.

maybe..

where's my drink?

Right but it will appear different, OH nvm I'm talking out of my a-hole again apparently.