Create custom font from handwriting

Started by Aaron, June 01, 2010, 12:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Anyone know a trick to do this? I found a couple sites that say they can create the font for me for about $10 (which I know isn't a lot). But shouldn't I be able to do this someone with Illustrator and live trace?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mwc

Quote from: Aaron on June 01, 2010, 12:15:27 PMAnyone know a trick to do this? I found a couple sites that say they can create the font for me for about $10 (which I know isn't a lot). But shouldn't I be able to do this someone with Illustrator and live trace?

Sure, you could do it yourself in several hours with a vector program and font creator software.....but unless you'll be doing a 'zillion of these, why bother? $10 a pop for a few hundred characters seems very reasonable.
But, I'm a person who would rather pay for someone to change my car's oil....I could do it, but I don't want to.

Aaron

Very true. And I don't know why I think I have time to mess with it. $10 sounds well worth it to me too.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

David

I'm not sure I'd waste money on a font of my handwriting...  no one would be able to read it, I can barely type...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

Quote from: gnubler on June 01, 2010, 01:00:06 PMhttp://kevinandamanda.com/fonts/fontsforpeas/how-to-get-your-handwriting-as-a-font/

Free?

Holly cow, is that site for real?? Some lady will do all the work you me... for free?? Man, wish I had that much free time on my hands.

youston

Quote from: david on June 01, 2010, 12:57:18 PMI'm not sure I'd waste money on a font of my handwriting...  no one would be able to read it, I can barely type...

I wasn't going to mention it (too polite), but I often have difficulty reading your typing. I just chalk it up to alcohol impairing the fine motor skills.

David

see, I tole you!

maybe I just need a new keyboard that types what I really wanted to type...
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on June 01, 2010, 01:14:48 PMsee, I tole you!

Maybe a device that you speak to and it gets converted into written words. We could call it a "secretary".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

youston

Quote from: Joe on June 01, 2010, 01:21:57 PM
Quote from: david on June 01, 2010, 01:14:48 PMsee, I tole you!

Maybe a device that you speak to and it gets converted into written words. We could call it a "secretary".

You're thinking WAAAAYYYY ahead of the curve, Joe. So much so, in fact, that I'm sure we're on different roads.

gnubler

Quote from: youston on June 01, 2010, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: david on June 01, 2010, 12:57:18 PMI'm not sure I'd waste money on a font of my handwriting...  no one would be able to read it, I can barely type...

I wasn't going to mention it (too polite), but I often have difficulty reading your typing. I just chalk it up to alcohol impairing the fine motor skills.

I thought LoganB pretty much had that unique distinction...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Livin' la Vida Loca