Another doosie job to typeset

Started by Chilbear, February 16, 2012, 01:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilbear

Well another doosie from another "client". I have a screen capture of Urdu text that I need to reverse to white. It is a Winbloze screen capture and very low res. Blowing it up it is pixelating to the max. Anyone that can suggest how to hold the characters and not lose it? Gently sharpening fattens it and the M Wand gives stair steps. Ideally I need to get the type white for a k/o in a dark area.

Colour me toast. Translation was not from NAmerica. I think this method is FUBAR'd.

Joe

How bad does it look if you open in photoshop and convert to a 2400 dpi bitmap?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 16, 2012, 01:25:07 PMHow bad does it look if you open in photoshop and convert to a 2400 dpi bitmap?
That's exactly what I would suggest trying
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Chilbear

Definitely better but it causes what use to be diamonds into mushy edges. Thanks for the tip. Will play some more.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Chilbear on February 16, 2012, 02:09:53 PMDefinitely better but it causes what use to be diamonds into mushy edges. Thanks for the tip. Will play some more.

You can touch it up with the pencil tool if there isn't a lot to do. It can get pretty tedious if there is a lot of stuff to touch up.

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on February 16, 2012, 02:22:56 PMfound this tute, hopefully you can use some of it.

http://indesignsecrets.com/colorizing-grayscale-images-with-transparency.php
I've used this trick in the past, but I've remapped in Rampage. Anyway, the problem I have with this is how do you diminish the "white" effect? For print, it's not so much of an issue, but this is a huge problem when printing digital.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Skryber

Digi, what's the problem you are having exactly? Is it stepping? If so, add 2-3 noise to your gradient and it should go bye bye.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

youston

Quote from: Skryber on February 16, 2012, 02:52:16 PMDigi, what's the problem you are having exactly? Is it stepping? If so, add 2-3 noise to your gradient and it should go bye bye.

This.

Also helps prevent banding for large areas of solid color, too.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 16, 2012, 07:26:40 PMTruncated link missing, y?

I think "This" means he was agreeing with the bolded part of skrybers post.

frailer

:shhh:          Just because I'm in the habit of using 'this' as a hot-word...  :shrug:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 16, 2012, 09:00:29 PM:shhh:          Just because I'm in the habit of using 'this' as a hot-word...  :shrug:

I won't tell a soul. :laugh:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 16, 2012, 09:14:14 PM
Quote from: frailer on February 16, 2012, 09:00:29 PM:shhh:          Just because I'm in the habit of using 'this' as a hot-word...  :shrug:

I won't tell a soul. :laugh:

:relieved:   ....you're a pal for keepin' stum. 

DCurry

I've had luck with this method, but it really is hit or miss depending on what you start with and what you need to do.

Upsample to 1000ppi or so, then apply a slight gaussian blur - just enough to smooth out the rough edges. Then go to Adjustments>Threshold. Here you can move the slider back and forth and it will fatten or skinny up the characters - it is using the varying tones in the blur to decide where to break as black or white. Once you are happy, convert to Bitmap mode using 50% threshold setting.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!