Password management apps

Started by Joe, June 27, 2014, 11:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Is anyone using anything like LastPass or anything else for password management? Password management has become a compete fustercluck so any recommendations would be welcome.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

johnny_jay

I use one called "Pastor" on all my Macs.

https://mehlau.net/pastor/

It's nothing super fancy and I just copy and paste. It seems to work well for me.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 27, 2014, 11:07:20 AMnope. just keychain.

The problem with that is I need my passwords from everywhere including work and I don't like leaving my passwords on my work Mac as it is pretty easy for anyone to get to them.

Joe

Quote from: johnny_jay on June 27, 2014, 11:12:36 AMI use one called "Pastor" on all my Macs.

https://mehlau.net/pastor/

It's nothing super fancy and I just copy and paste. It seems to work well for me.

Thanks for the link. Does that store the passwords on the local machine or in some far away cloud? I need access to them from anywhere and any device.

johnny_jay

In a locked document that you must open in pastor, I have it in my drop box folder but there is only an apple application, no windows, iphone or android apps

http://lifehacker.com/385419/pastor-stores-and-secures-your-passwords
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

mwc

I just use my google apps (or gmail) account with a document created in the drive app to store passwords (or a spreadsheet).
I also use the goog's 2-factor authentication on my accounts.
I don't use the the separate drive app on my computers (for dropbox-like syncing) - cause I could not find a way (that I liked) to turn off access to my other goog services on my work computer, just use browser to access.
On the phone, the drive app is fine.

DCurry

Similar to johnny_jay's solution, I use CiphSafe to store all mine, then copy/paste as needed.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Santa

1Password..has a companion mac and ios client.  Has the ability to make folders and categories folders. 

Slappy

I've used 1Password from Agilebits for several years now, can't speak highly enough about it. It's not cheap although they do have sales occasionally. I bought a Family Pack that's like 3 licenses so the Wife & I both keep separate vaults.

You can sync the database through Dropbox, iCloud or Wifi and it's accessible anywhere securely. The iPhone integration is top-notch, and I can even get to my password vault through a web-browser so long as I know my Dropbox password to get to the database.

They just released a Windows version, and I think there's an Android app out or on the way.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

I actually bought a Yubikey but hardly used it yet, as I rarely access webmail from other than home or work. Was pretty cheap, and uses a one-time handshake-style p/w generation from the dongle. Your webmail app, or whatever it is would need to support it, of course, and have a USB port where you're accessing.
Other than that I string a number of cryptic numbers letters together based on the model numbers of WWII fighters, guitar model codes, crap like that, (which are whacky letter/number combos). But then I have a brain which remembers stuff like that. ----> Dustin Hoffman/early movie.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 27, 2014, 02:29:05 PMI actually bought a Yubikey but hardly used it yet, as I rarely access webmail from other than home or work. Was pretty cheap, and uses a one-time handshake-style p/w generation from the dongle. Your webmail app, or whatever it is would need to support it, of course, and have a USB port where you're accessing.
Other than that I string a number of cryptic numbers letters together based on the model numbers of WWII fighters, guitar model codes, crap like that, (which are whacky letter/number combos). But then I have a brain which remembers stuff like that. ----> Dustin Hoffman/early movie.   :undecided:

:lmao:

You're Rain Man?

frailer

Quote from: Joe on June 27, 2014, 02:34:44 PM
Quote from: frailer on June 27, 2014, 02:29:05 PMI actually bought a Yubikey but hardly used it yet, as I rarely access webmail from other than home or work. Was pretty cheap, and uses a one-time handshake-style p/w generation from the dongle. Your webmail app, or whatever it is would need to support it, of course, and have a USB port where you're accessing.

:lmao:

You're Rain Man?

:shhh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

I know what would happen to a Yubikey. I'd set it down somewhere and it would never be seen again. :laugh:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on June 27, 2014, 02:40:08 PMI know what would happen to a Yubikey. I'd set it down somewhere and it would never be seen again. :laugh:

There is that risk.   :undecided:  Beyond that, there is nothing anyone sitting down at that computer would be able to do to retrieve your p/w., because of the way it works; like a temporary firmware hook-up.

Apropos of nothing.. you guys are at work Friday, (maybe not Joe), but I just fed the dog in the freezing cold at 0610 Saturday, and also watched the Int Space Stn go over in the cusp of dawn. My excitement for the day has peaked. You may return to work now....   :embarrassed: