Laptop ideas

Started by Farabomb, September 05, 2014, 01:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Get a Roku and/or Chromecast. Between the 2, I can stream anything I want from my computer, which is a couple of rooms away (or my phone/Nexus/laptop), with no wires.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

The Roku can't do .mkv files. I've tried, it will play video but no sound.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

But the Plex app will play .mkv files, and it runs on the Roku.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

That's another step and I'd have to have the server up and running. I may get to that point but I'm getting slightly obsessed with getting some new tech. I got the woman a Galaxy tab3 10.1 for xmas and told her when the new nexus 10 releases that's my xmas present but I don't see that releasing anytime soon.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

QuoteMy HP 17" laptop is getting a bit long in the tooth. It's at least 6 years old and I'm starting to have issues playing 1080p files on the TV.

So it is only a problem with 1080 files that used to play OK? To me that would indicate a Windows problem if none of the hardware has changed from when they used to play OK to now they don't. Have you tried a factory reset on the laptop?

Are the video files stored on the laptop HD, external USB, or on the network somewhere?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Some files are on a SD card, some on the SSD, some on the HDD some on the external HDD. Some files work fine, some skip badly. I see it most from the GoT files located on the SSD. The fun part is I can watch the same file on different days and one it will play through fine, the other skip central.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on September 09, 2014, 07:36:09 AMSome files are on a SD card, some on the SSD, some on the HDD some on the external HDD. Some files work fine, some skip badly. I see it most from the GoT files located on the SSD. The fun part is I can watch the same file on different days and one it will play through fine, the other skip central.

The SSD is the OS disk? Windows could be performing other tasks as you try to stream video from that drive? I could see some issues streaming HD from an SD card too. As far as the USB drive I assume it is USB 2.0? How about the USB cable? There are differences in USB 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 cables. We had an older USB 2.0 drive on our XP CTP machine. It had one of the older Mac USB cables on it. I guess they needed a longer cable and they swapped it out for the longer Mac USB cable and didn't tell anyone. When we got our new Win 7 CTP PC's the USB drive would not work. Finally I tried a known good USB cable and the drive would mount and work again.

Are you running AV software? AVG was causing me all kinds of shit the last year or so. I finally dumped it and only run MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender in Win 7. In Win 8 MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender has been combined into one product (Windows Defender) so that is all I use for it. It is NOT the best AV software out there but I don't have any schmoes using those PC's so I am good with it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

MS security essentials, no AVG. The drive is a 3.0 drive using the stock cable to a USB 2.0 port. The SSD is the system drive, the HDD is in another internal bay.

Hell it could also be heat related. Normally won't happen on the first movie but will skip on the second... but not all the time. Sometimes it just won't play correctly from a cold boot.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job