ASCII or binary eps files

Started by quarkuser, June 16, 2010, 11:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Are you going to save those on a floppy? Or should I say *floppies* - you'll probably need more than one disk.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Stiv

Matt, I have to say, you are one great big help to me here at B4. Thanks.

mattbeals

Thank  you, I'm happy to help when I can.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Quote from: Stiv on June 16, 2010, 05:14:42 PMMatt, I have to say, you are one great big help to me here at B4. Thanks.

Second that motion, Madame Chair.  Following the mouse pointer is great training for flight sim games though.    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

Thanks. I may post these to YouTube or iTunes as pod casts.
Matt Beals

hotmetal

Shit, this mean I hafta shave before I post here?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Quote from: hotmetal on June 16, 2010, 11:34:13 PMShit, this mean I hafta shave before I post here?
As long as you include the shower, shampoo, and shoe-shine.   :police:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

Quote from: quarkuser on June 16, 2010, 11:49:58 AMI've come across having postscript errors when printing from Quark to either an HP Laserjet 5000n or an Okidata C9300 color printer.

In your printer setup in Quark, in the options, select ASCII as the data format not binary.
This has been a known problem with Quark since v6.5 and probably still exist.

oh yeah... did I mention Quark sucks
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Quote from: hotmetal on June 16, 2010, 11:34:13 PMShit, this mean I hafta shave before I post here?

I think we covered this in the moustache thread, mkay.  :naughty:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: quarkuser on June 16, 2010, 11:49:58 AMI have recently updated to Quark 8. I use 10.6.3 with an 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. I've come across having postscript errors when printing from Quark to either an HP Laserjet 5000n or an Okidata C9300 color printer. After doing some research I believe the cause of my problems are using Photoshoop eps files on my layouts. I believe some of my eps files have been encoded as binary and should be ASCII instead. Is there a tool or utility I can use in Quark or even Acrobat Pro to determine what eps files in my layout were saved as binary or ASCII formats?

I would test converting these over before committing to batch processing these files. It really shouldn't matter ASCII or binary. A few questions... What version of Quark 8 are you rolling? What is the flatness on those clipping paths? Are you sure your Quark 8 is set up like previous versions when you print?

There are several reasons for PS errors... can you post the EXACT PS error? That will tell us a lot. I doubt it has anything to do with ASCII or binary.
Member #285 - Civilian

mattbeals

If you're printing through a Windows spool queue you need to print ASCII. Printing to a PostScript emulator *can* be problematic when printing binary. ASCII is more verbose but generally always works. But like DCS said, we need the entire error message.
Matt Beals

DigitalCrapShoveler

Don't you DARE try to upstage me Matt. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

quarkuser

Thank you for all the responses. I do have ASCII selected in options for the printer setup. I've even tried using Binary and Clean 8-Bit just in case it helped but didn't. Before a page processes for printing, I will receive a warning window saying, "Page could contain EPS pictures which include Binary data. Okay to continue?". The Photoshop images used in these pages have a clipping path flatness of 6 device pixels. Depending on what printer I use, I get two postscript errors. When I print directly to the OKI C9300 color printer, the page starts to spool. It stops spooling early from 8% to even 40%. After that, I get blank pages with lines of jibberish spewing out of the printer. I have to cancel the job from the printer and delete the print job also. The opposite happens when I go to print with the HP Laserjet 5000n black/white printer. The page spools all the way to 100% but nothing ever comes out of the printer. The printer will indicate that it is processing while the page spools and then switches to ready after 100% with no page coming out. I have the most up to date drivers. I have talked with 2 Oki Support technicians and have even reinstalled all the necessary drivers needed up to Snow Leopard. HP's website indicated that the most recent drivers came installed with the new iMacs and Snow Leopard upgrade dvds we purchase. Never had this problem  up to Quark 6.5. The Quark I'm currently using is 8.1.6. Everyone else in my department has Quark 8.15 and all experience the same problems. I'm thinking this is a patch that Quark needs to do since in their support forum there were other postings of people experiencing the same printing problems with other brand name printers. As of now, the only successful way of printing is distilling the page to a pdf file. Works for me but I feel is an unnecessary step for the amount of money used to purchase Quark.

mwc

are these 8-bit or 16-bit photoshop images (EPS)?
are they composite or DCS?
have you tried other images with the same results? (problems)