Update to Acrobat caused problems

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 04, 2024, 10:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Just a heads up.

On my new Mac if forgot to change the default setting in Acrobat to turn off the automatic updates.

It went to version .20458 and all kinds of crazy crap started happening especially with PitStop.

Luckily, I was able to copy back version .20423 from a time machine backup from last Friday. The OS is Ventura 13.6.3

Possum

These days it's dangerous to have automatic updates for practically anything.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

(Pre)PressingMyLuck

Upgrade: Replacing a simple system that works with a complex system that doesn't. Updates aren't much different.
It only takes one "aw shit" to wipe out a whole bunch of "atta boys".

Foozball

Quote from: (Pre)PressingMyLuck on January 04, 2024, 01:06:59 PMUpgrade: Replacing a simple system that works with a complex system that doesn't. Updates aren't much different.
Buuuuuut, with this update Acrobat is now DicTok compliant!  :o

pspdfppdfxhd

Man the things you have to remember when you setup a new computer. It went a lot better than last time because of the previous experience, but you always miss something. TURN OFF THE AUTO UPDATE IN ACROBAT. WHY IS THAT THE DEFAULT??

Possum

If the auto update doesn't screw up something on the computer itself, it will definitely make it incompatible with some other thing you're connected to, like a printer.

hotmetal

I've been bashing my head against my keyboard all week. I only have one client anymore, I've been doing odd jobs with her for years. That said, I get about 3 or 4 jobs a year from her, we work really well together. She's in California, I'm in Minnesota. We've never met, but we text back and forth regularly.

What I seem to be seeing is that sleazy ADOBE's monster is uploading my files and "fixing" them for me. When I build a project for her, I'll use several layers and a couple fonts and downloaded images. Nothing fancy, but a couple times a year she'll give me a nice, interesting, fat book to design. I'm paying $50/month to be insulted like this. Breaking it down by week, that's $12.50, that's a couple beers at my local bar. I can work with that.

Now... NOW... NOW!!! every time I get something working just fine, ADOBE reaches in during the night and jams everything into an impossible pile of crapy PDF junk, which may or may not have layers, and it really seems like ADOBE is doing this because they think people like myself are too stupid to know what they're doing, and likely to STEAL SOMETHING if they don't toss something in line to keep me from getting any work done.

It certainly appears that ADOBE is TERRIFIED that I MIGHT STEAL SOMETHING, so they make it really, really hard for me to get anything done without a lot of yelling and screaming (when my wife isn't home, of course.)

What am I missing?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Possum

You're missing a nice, normal world that is not ruled by Adobe.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on January 12, 2024, 05:20:54 PMYou're missing a nice, normal world that is not ruled by Adobe.
Yeah I haven't had any Adobe issues in the last couple of years. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

The only ones I've had are with Adobe Reader. They have all kinds of tools but whenever you click on one they tell you to subscribe to the full version. How about just don't show me anything I can't use? I know I can't do much with Reader but I'd like to find out what its capabilities are, if any.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on January 13, 2024, 12:40:08 PMThe only ones I've had are with Adobe Reader. They have all kinds of tools but whenever you click on one they tell you to subscribe to the full version. How about just don't show me anything I can't use? I know I can't do much with Reader but I'd like to find out what its capabilities are, if any.
Well they can't sell you something if you don't know about it. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Note to Adobe: they can't sell me something anyway.

Skryber

Quote from: hotmetal on January 12, 2024, 04:51:24 PMI've been bashing my head against my keyboard all week. I only have one client anymore, I've been doing odd jobs with her for years. That said, I get about 3 or 4 jobs a year from her, we work really well together. She's in California, I'm in Minnesota. We've never met, but we text back and forth regularly.

What I seem to be seeing is that sleazy ADOBE's monster is uploading my files and "fixing" them for me. When I build a project for her, I'll use several layers and a couple fonts and downloaded images. Nothing fancy, but a couple times a year she'll give me a nice, interesting, fat book to design. I'm paying $50/month to be insulted like this. Breaking it down by week, that's $12.50, that's a couple beers at my local bar. I can work with that.

Now... NOW... NOW!!! every time I get something working just fine, ADOBE reaches in during the night and jams everything into an impossible pile of crapy PDF junk, which may or may not have layers, and it really seems like ADOBE is doing this because they think people like myself are too stupid to know what they're doing, and likely to STEAL SOMETHING if they don't toss something in line to keep me from getting any work done.

It certainly appears that ADOBE is TERRIFIED that I MIGHT STEAL SOMETHING, so they make it really, really hard for me to get anything done without a lot of yelling and screaming (when my wife isn't home, of course.)

What am I missing?
Hotmetal, you can call Adobe and tell them you only use the applications once in a while and that its not worth it for that price. They knocked me down to the student price 32.99/month for a year. And then every year I call and they renew it at that same rate. It's not much but it'll put a few more beers in your belly.  ;D
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Ear

This happened to me to, Bubbles... forgot about the hidden updater for Acrobat and now PitStop is almost unusable. Select an object and everything goes blank. I can still use actions and GC but I'm flying blind. This is an older PitStop and I reckon it is finally time to update to a subscription.

All of this gets me into update hell. My main production masheen is still on Catalina, using 2023 versions of InDesign, etc... and Suitcase for font management. I'm reluctant to let the Mac update to Sonoma and update all of my Adobe stuff, for fear of losing days of production trying to sort it out if it turns into a mess. I still use older InDesign to handle PS fonts and not sure I will be able to use any of that once I upgrade. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Possum

Upgrade, update - getting to be dirty words. If Adobe and a few other companies spent half the time making sure their update or upgrade worked with common software that is usually used with them as the poor users spend trying to just do their job after the upgrade, there would be a lot less hairpulling.