Third party software for PDF editing

Started by born2print, November 08, 2007, 04:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

I'm looking for some recommendations for some extra horsepower w/ PDF editing, we have a PDF workflow and all operators have Pitstop. We also have a couple of Kodak tools that came w/ Prinergy that work in Acrobat. The boss misses the tools we had in Brisque for fast editing of minor issues right in the ripped data (not back at native files) "Presstouch© this and go to plate"
Any and all comments are welcome, I'm only familiar with the names of some (possible) contenders:
Neo
Oris
Supercolor
Onevision
Quite a box of tricks
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

whoami

You should look at PackEdge from Esko.  It's everything you could ever want in a PDF editor. 

doubting_thomas

I think you'll find yourself wanting more when stacking Quite A Box of Tricks up against those
other programs. I have it and use it, but I mostly use it for global color space changes.
It has a few other functions, but most are either included in Acrobat 8 or Pitstop.

Joe

I'd look into OneVision. Great product from what I've seen and read.

NEO is great too.

How much ya' wanting to spend?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

from what i saw neo looks pretty damm good - couple that with pitstop and you have some powerful tools

but the budget question is very relevant.

i had a small budget (very close to zero) and i opted for oris pdf tuner. its cranky interface gets on my nerves - but its saved me enough to have warranted itself - and at just over a grand thats not bad for what it does - auto trapping, vector drawing, image editing (if you must), colour management, and plenty more - BUT..........

to get a pdf out you have to use distiller - which means postscript....transparency flattening. we are just very very careful and as such have been fine. but that damm interface is cranky.

but, when i bought pdf tuner there were not as many packages strong enough available then - there's a better choice now. the esko stuff looks ok to me, maybe a little pricey. the onevision stuff looked ok but wasnt up to what i needed (packaging) at the time.

depending on what you need it to do, neo for me was pretty strong - shame i didnt have the budget at the time.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

born2print

Thanks everyone, I think I can get $ for at least 1 seat of anything.... so for now I'm considering "money no object"

Joe

Quote from: born2print on November 09, 2007, 10:55:22 AMThanks everyone, I think I can get $ for at least 1 seat of anything.... so for now I'm considering "money no object"

That's a good thing. One seat of NEO w/trapping is $7500. Buy 10 and it's only like $3500 per seat. ;D

born2print

Joe

born2print

Oooooh, that's a nice reduction, hmmmmmm
(THANKS JOE)

what's the ballpark pricing on PackEdge or OneVision if anyone knows?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: whoami on November 08, 2007, 04:35:08 PMYou should look at PackEdge from Esko.  It's everything you could ever want in a PDF editor. 

from the things I heard or read..  this would be my choice if I were looking to buy..   Pitstop has been enough for us..

not sure on the price thing without looking
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

I believe you can download a fully functioning trial version of NEO from the Enfocus web site.

David

The remark about Packedge is dead on.

We use it's "better" sister program called BackStage Edit, kicks PDF butt big time.

but, if you got scaried at the 7500 dollar price tag on Neo, you don't want to know what Esko cost.

It's a little steep.

but, you can get different modules, there's all sorts of bits and pieces that go into it.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Thanks again, for now I think I will make sure we're getting all the functionality out of Pitstop and the Kodak tools FIRST, then I'll have a better idea of the power I need... maybe I'll check out the trial NEO sooner than later though! 8)

Vee

For the most part - the days of editing Post RIP Data are over. All of the new workflows are NORM, including Prinergy.

We are PDF only too. Every job we print is derived from a PDF.. some how, some way.
Pitstop is the only PDF editing tool we use. PDF Trapping is done via Prinect Trap Editor, and we run Supercolor as well for Color Space editing. Text edits - are ALWAYS done in the native app. No questions about it.

The question from me is....
What do you want to do to the PDFs that Pitstop/Kreodak tools can't do?

Vee

EDIT: Other than Color space edits.. but surely Kreodak has something for this.....
It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!