Preps 5.3.1

Started by whoami, March 24, 2008, 10:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on March 25, 2008, 09:52:16 AMHell yes there's advantages! Preps 5 runs native on OSX, no more classic is enough of a reason in and of it's self FFS. Smart marks rock tha house! Independent pages are a different color. These are just a few rad reasons to go to Preps 5. Anyone else?

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 25, 2008, 09:43:10 AMI am thinking the ganking issue from my Manager is becoming a reality very soon.

That will be quite a trick unless you can gank his dongle too.

heehee... I said gank his dongle.  :laugh:

Damn, I forgot about the dongle!!! Good thinking Ear. I think he has a FeeCee version, so Mac is out. Maybe i'll throw it on PC Output when he ain't lookin. I'll go ninja tonight when he leaves and snake the dongle. Notice I said, "snake the dongle."
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

You can download the Mac version and the dongle will work on either machine. Besides the dongle and software you will also need the password. If you don't have the password you can snake your dongle all day long and you won't get anywhere. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

eeewwwww... peecee. I've run Preps on a peecee before and it made me feel dirty.  :sad:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on March 25, 2008, 10:07:42 AMeeewwwww... peecee. I've run Preps on a peecee before and it made me feel dirty.  :sad:

It's quite possibly the ugliest software interface I've ever seen. At one point we had decided to move one of our Mac versions to the PC. I quite frankly could not stand to look at it and moved it back as quickly as possible.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Mac version prettier? Okay so Joe, you say I can download Mac version, use same dongle, but if I have the password for PC, will it work on Mac? Or do I need to get a new one?

Ear, like I said, I have not really even seen Preps 5, on PC or Mac... the only interface I know is PC V3. It is... simple, not attractive on the whole, but it works. V5. I heard could be problematic for V3 users converting over... thoughts?
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

I keep my peecees clean and running good, well as good and clean as a peecee can be but you polish a turd and it still stinks. I NEED my prepping software to work, ALL THE TIME, period. Now, I don't care who likes what etc... my Macs work all the time, it's the peecees I have to work to maintain, and I do but I can't put such a pivotal piece of software on something that isn't dependable. Screw Microsoft!

Oh, and I haven't had any problems with Preps v.5 and trust me, my GM makes me jump through some phukkin hoops to prep some strange $hit!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

tapdn

The difference DCS is like day an night between ver 3 and 5. Preps use to run way faster on PeeCee, but not anymore. Get it!!
(and Preps 5 on Mac too) :azn:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 25, 2008, 10:16:42 AMMac version prettier? Okay so Joe, you say I can download Mac version, use same dongle, but if I have the password for PC, will it work on Mac? Or do I need to get a new one?

Ear, like I said, I have not really even seen Preps 5, on PC or Mac... the only interface I know is PC V3. It is... simple, not attractive on the whole, but it works. V5. I heard could be problematic for V3 users converting over... thoughts?

No, I doubt your version 3 password file will work with Preps 5. Preps 3 wasn't even a Creo/Kodak product was it? ScenicSoft maybe? I'm fairly certain your manager has a little piece of paper with the Preps 5 password on it. On the other hand, if he has it installed on his computer you could probably copy the password file over to the Mac from his Preps 5 installation. I have to ask though, if he is the manager and has this software why the hell isn't letting his production people use it?

I love planning ninja raids! :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 25, 2008, 10:34:49 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 25, 2008, 10:16:42 AMMac version prettier? Okay so Joe, you say I can download Mac version, use same dongle, but if I have the password for PC, will it work on Mac? Or do I need to get a new one?

No, I doubt your version 3 password file will work with Preps 5. Preps 3 wasn't even a Creo/Kodak product was it? ScenicSoft maybe? I'm fairly certain your manager has a little piece of paper with the Preps 5 password on it. On the other hand, if he has it installed on his computer you could probably copy the password file over to the Mac from his Preps 5 installation. I have to ask though, if he is the manager and has this software why the hell isn't letting his production people use it?

I love planning ninja raids! :laugh:

My Boss has version 5 somewhere under his desk. Password, probably with the dongle in the box, factory sealed. He had FlightCheck Workflow too. That is one expensive piece of software he had buried under his files. He doesn't let his underlings use Preps 5, because he is afraid it will cause problems to his already bullshit workflow. I have tried to appeal to him, but he will not listen. He is ignorant of a lot, okay boss as far as leniency, but a stump when it comes to Digital Prep. He doesn't even know how to use ANY mainstream DTP apps, and is fairly illiterate on computers of any type. He is old, archaic and stubborn - use to be a very respected camera guy and stripper. His views are outdated and our department suffers from it because management knows no better. He just needs to retire, I like the guy fine, it is just time for him to wave goodbye and leave.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

That sucks dude. They need to embrace the new software, it helps. I am here because I replaced one just like that. Now, I'm the boss of a few that are like that but fortunately, I am the one with the hardware/software pull. Still, it's not easy. Trying to get these old birds to learn a new program or new version of an ailing program is like trying to take a goat for a walk.

Out with the old, in with the new! The only problem Preps 5 might cause is when you stick the wrong carbon unit in front of it.

Joe

Ahem...the age of a person has no bearing on their stumpness. :tongue:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on March 25, 2008, 11:13:50 AMThat sucks dude. They need to embrace the new software, it helps. I am here because I replaced one just like that. Now, I'm the boss of a few that are like that but fortunately, I am the one with the hardware/software pull. Still, it's not easy. Trying to get these old birds to learn a new program or new version of an ailing program is like trying to take a goat for a walk.

Out with the old, in with the new! The only problem Preps 5 might cause is when you stick the wrong carbon unit in front of it.

This carbon unit hearing you. "V'Ger needs the info-mation."

And Joe... This guy is way older than you. I think he was around when the Tower of Babel fell. He is often heard saying, "Yeah, I'll retire when I'm dead." He means it. I picture walking in one day and saying, "WTF is that funky smell?" and seeing him decomposing in his chair.
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

Yeah, smartmarks rule, try for the upgrade.
Also, btw, we run "floating licenses" for Preps, no dongles but it is over the network.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Ear

Sorry Joe, I didn't mean age (greek = chronos) specifically, but more old ways of doing things!

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on March 25, 2008, 11:43:19 AMSorry Joe, I didn't mean age (greek = chronos) specifically, but more old ways of doing things!

Yeah I know. I've seen plenty of 20 something year olds that would rather keep using Quark 4 and PageMaker than to learn something new. I don't think it has anything to do with age though. Some people just don't like change.