Preps smart marks

Started by Exploded, April 11, 2008, 08:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

After getting a bit of training on preps I have to say I am very inpressed with the smart marks feature. It makes added crops, colour bars, perfs etc a breeze, very impressive stuff

Joe

I luv me smartmarks. Just last night I had to set up brand new plates for our new press going online. Smartmarks are beautiful.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

I couldn't agree more and after using Preps for years I am still discovering hidden gems. Very powerful application.
Tip of the hat and many thanks to this forum and Joe for help and pointing me in the right direction.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

DCurry

I, too, recently started messing with SmartMarks. My one gripe so far is that I wish they would automatically update on the fly. For instance, I have a bunch of "base templates" that I use as a starting point for my custom impos. I made a SmartMarks set of color bars, register marks, crops, etc. and applied the set to each of my base templates. If I make a change to the SmartMarks set, though, the base templates don't reflect the change unless I re-import the set. No biggie, but then I have to do it for each base template (27 in all). I would rather it link to the set so that if the set changes (adding or removing marks from the set), the changes are reflected when I open up a base template.

Hope I explained it clearly.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

tapdn

You did and I agree. That would be a welcome new feature- like changes you make to a template automatically showing in the Preps job.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on April 11, 2008, 10:12:45 AMI, too, recently started messing with SmartMarks. My one gripe so far is that I wish they would automatically update on the fly. For instance, I have a bunch of "base templates" that I use as a starting point for my custom impos. I made a SmartMarks set of color bars, register marks, crops, etc. and applied the set to each of my base templates. If I make a change to the SmartMarks set, though, the base templates don't reflect the change unless I re-import the set. No biggie, but then I have to do it for each base template (27 in all). I would rather it link to the set so that if the set changes (adding or removing marks from the set), the changes are reflected when I open up a base template.

Hope I explained it clearly.

I agree with that and I've submitted it to Kodak as a feature request a few weeks ago. The only problem I can see is if you open an old job and you want it to be exactly as it was the first time the edited smartmarks would change. Seems minor to me but that is all I can think of as to why it isn't already that way.

I also asked for a "Remove Smartmarks" dialog that looks like the "Import Smartmarks" dialog where it would list the smartmarks currently on the template and you can remove just the ones you want to remove instead of the dreaded "Remove ALL Smartmarks" menu option.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1458.msg21408#msg21408 date=1207931755The only problem I can see is if you open an old job and you want it to be exactly as it was the first time the edited smartmarks would change. Seems minor to me but that is all I can think of as to why it isn't already that way.

Good point - perhaps it could be implemented in such a way that it only auto-updates if you actually open the template. Or maybe a warning could pop up telling you that the set has changed and give you the option to use the revised set, or keep that marks as they are on the template (thereby breaking the link).
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

born2print

Ohhh, I like that idea Joe and Dan, fingers crossed.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

LRob