Preps upgrade

Started by kermit, September 10, 2007, 02:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

I just received my 2 new iMacs and ordered Preps 5.x upgrades. This is the last app I was using in OS 9.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Ear

Soooo much better in OSX!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

kermit

That's what I hear but I had to buy other toys first and since Preps was running great in classic I did not need to upgrade right away. Now, they have version 5.3 and hopefully all the bugs are fixed. The only thing I don't understand is what is a smart mark and how does it work?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

frailer

Stargate, Smart Marks, broadly speaking, throw in most of the marks you used to have to do by individual category before. You can set up what you want it to throw in, and Voila! I'm not a "power" user of PREPS, but it seemed to me like a pretty big leap when we went to 5.x. The Smart Marks dialogue box pretty much walks you through your presets. Just adjust it to what you want. Big time saver, but mainly just less tedious. The colour bar feature is good, too.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mwc

And don't forget to try the shift-click on a template in the signature window....opens the template up right away for editing...

Ear

Yep, 5.3 is pretty slick. One other thing I remember being very happy about in going from 4 to 5 was how independent pages are now a different color than imposed pages. Also, the traveling spine indicators for perfect bound are much more robust and easy to use.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Slappy

Smart Marks kick major ass! Just got 5.3 installed here this week as part of the Prinergy Upgrade too, doesn't look much different than the previous version, yet.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

whoami

Anyone using Preps Ganging?  I tried to use it here but it requires 10.4.6 or above and we are running 10.3.X  so we can't use it.  Any feedback on preps ganging would be appreciated.  My boss asked me to look into it.

kermit

I tested demo and have seen movies:

http://graphics1.kodak.com/us/product/workflow_data_storage/printing_solutions/production_planning/preps/PREPS%20Software%20Feature%20Demonstrations?countryid=global

It looks great and from what I heard it works great. I may even update my Plus dongles to Pro to get it.

kermit

kermit

Quote from: mwc on September 10, 2007, 09:20:36 PMAnd don't forget to try the shift-click on a template in the signature window....opens the template up right away for editing...
I tried to shift click on the template icon, template name in signature window and nothing happens...

Joe

It's CTRL+SHIFT CLICK for me. Opens up the template editor.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

Quote from: Joe on September 19, 2007, 03:36:18 PMIt's CTRL+SHIFT CLICK for me. Opens up the template editor.
I guess Mike forgot to add CTRL. That means that I am not crazy. Thanks Joe, I will try tom.

Joe

Also...CTRL + CLICK open the preview window.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

Quote from: Joe on September 19, 2007, 08:27:06 PMAlso...CTRL + CLICK open the preview window.
It rocks! just for that I would upgrade.