Transitioning Mail

Started by frailer, October 13, 2010, 04:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

I have an idea you can move Mail from one Mac to another on a network...i.e. set up on 2nd mac, with a view to phasing the other one out. After a couple of trip ups, I thought I was at home base. Seems to have allowed me to set it up, but am getting the 'shotgun covers all' message...username and/or password need to be checked yada yada.
Dreaded exclamation mark triangle next to Inbox icon. Mail on 1st Mac working OK.  Where to from here? I have triple checked ALL settings against current working one. You can run on both, correct?

Or maybe I could try a Mac freebie Mail Client of some sort. See if I can set that up. I don't much care what Client I use...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on October 13, 2010, 04:09:59 PMWhere to from here?

Thunderbird.

With each new time I try out Mail (usually being used on a machine I'm forced to take over) I dislike it even more. Tbird just works and it's easy to set up.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

All good. D'Oh! It was a password problem. Different dropdown in Server Settings. Old mail had a 'None' field. New Mail...I had it on a default setting...needed to be set to 'Password'   :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Once again, a decent specific error message would have taken me straight to it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chilbear

Yes SL is different. I moved from Entourage 2001 to Apple Mail yesterday. It took about 1 hour of fooling as you said to get the pieces. A few things I don't like but will persist.