News:

Main Menu

OSX 10.8

Started by EPP, March 26, 2013, 01:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EPP

So we got a few new macs with 10.8. It looks like the OS updates are now through the app store, which requires a Apple ID logon. As a company, I'm trying to figure the best way to control/administer this for 30+ macs. Should I just create a ID for my company and put in the company credit card? How is everyone handling this? Am I going have to go to each station to log in and out of the app store for each station? Currently on the systems with 10.6 & 10.7, everyone just does their own updates. Everyone is petty much an admin on their own computer, but I'm thinking maybe about moving away from that and have 2 or 3 people as admin, with everyone else logging in as managed user accounts. We have Apple Remote Desktop too, would that be the best way to deploy installs & updates? will it work with 10.8 Thoughts? Suggestions?

Joe

I've heard there is a workaround so you don't have to give credit card info but have never tried it.

We do it the same way on our Macs. Everyone is an admin on their own Mac.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Do I need an iTunes account to get Mountain Lion?  What's a "corporate Apple ID" that I've read about?

Every Mac App Store / iTunes Store account is tied to an Apple ID.  To download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, you have to have an Apple ID.  The Apple ID you use should be one whose email address matches that of your domain.  You should only use an Apple ID that is a generic Apple ID used by your department/school/college/institution for software purchases.  You should NOT use an Apple ID that is tied to an individual.  There is no technical difference between a "personal Apple ID" and a "corporate Apple ID" - it's all in retaining ownership of a license, keeping in mind that employees come and go from an institution. If you don't already have an iTunes account that would be appropriate for this, you can follow the instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534 to create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card.  Remember that you can create email aliases (or groups with one member) that would be appropriate for such an account.  Some examples might be mac_app_store@myschool.edu or math_apps@myschool.edu.  Apple does not create or distribute Apple IDs or iTunes accounts.  This is something that you have to create for your organization.  You and your end-users will not need to use this Apple ID for any Mountain Lion software updates.

Can I create a Mac App Store account without a credit card?

Yes!  Follow the instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534 to create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

good to know, thanks Joe!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca