EPS's containing thousands of layers!

Started by Leslie, February 18, 2009, 03:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leslie

We seem to be getting eps files from agencies that when opened in Ill CS3 they contain many, many layers. They seem like glyphs. What are these files? Where they made in some obscure program and then saved as an eps? That's what it seems like. Has anyone ever run into this problem? Editing these files is no fun!!!
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Leslie

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, the file is flattened. All those layers are all the individual rasterized elements that interact with transparency.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Welcome to the forum Leslie. As Mr. CrapShoveler has already stated, EPS's are flattened. If you need to do edits I would ask for the original unflattened AI file.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Yes, you are on your toes today. Now run out and get me some fries.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on February 18, 2009, 04:05:05 PMYes, you are on your toes today. Now run out and get me some fries.

Ummm... no.
Member #285 - Civilian

mattbeals

Can you please send me one of the offending PDF's?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

G_Town

PDF?

I think the problem is postscript or more accurately encapsulated postscript.

gnubler

Quote from: mattbeals on February 18, 2009, 10:46:18 PMCan you please send me one of the offending PDF's?

To which number or email/message address? There's so many to choose from.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Leslie

Thank you everyone for your responses! I agree these are flattened, we believe these eps files originate from a PDF file opened in Illy and saved as eps's. We're assuming these agencies do not have the original files and are using the pdf's in Illy to make these eps's.

Joe

Ahhhh...geniuses at work I see. Good luck. You'll need it.

DigitalCrapShoveler

The lunacy of Agency Workers....  :angry:
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 19, 2009, 10:46:34 AMThe lunacy of Agency Workers....  :angry:

got a phone call yesterday from a girl at an agency that wanted to know what the problem with her .jpegs was..  she started the conversation by introducing herself and immediately said, "I really don't know what I'm doing"..   I almost lost it on the phone.. I bit my tongue and tried to help her..  after three more "I really don't know what I'm doing"'s in the conversation, and her not having a clue about what I was talking about, all I was doing was trying to have her send me her .psd...    I gave up. I sent them their shitty ass .jpegs in a proof and they signed it and we're printing it today..   :death:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on February 19, 2009, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 19, 2009, 10:46:34 AMThe lunacy of Agency Workers....  :angry:

got a phone call yesterday from a girl at an agency that wanted to know what the problem with her .jpegs was..  she started the conversation by introducing herself and immediately said, "I really don't know what I'm doing"..   I almost lost it on the phone.. I bit my tongue and tried to help her..  after three more "I really don't know what I'm doing"'s in the conversation, and her not having a clue about what I was talking about, all I was doing was trying to have her send me her .psd...    I gave up. I sent them their shitty ass .jpegs in a proof and they signed it and we're printing it today..   :death:

See? Don't fight it. Just walk toward the light. Peace and happiness await.