Archiving Redux

Started by mwc, May 27, 2010, 11:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwc

Was planning on updating our Tape Archiving System from an AIT2-Turbo to a higher capacity drive like AIT-5...

Lo and Behold, I found out that AIT is Dead as of 3/2010???
http://sony.storagesupport.com/node/7320

anyhow, have 10+ years of jobs on AIT...not worried about that...just wondering WHAT the current alternative tape mechanisms are that you use/like so I can plan for the replacement. (using retrospect 6 presently)

Hard Disk archiving is one option, but I'd need redundant systems to do that, as opposed to adding extra tapes.

Ideas anyone???

Joe

LTO-3 is the current fav I believe/

I love my disk archiving. Check out NAS units. For redundency buy two and backup to 2 locations.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Is this what everyone else does? My AIT just ate an archive tape this a.m. (1 of 18) which is like a few months of work. I got the tape out unharmed, but now I fear that the drive is slowly dying. I bought a new backup AIT drive, but couldn't get it to work. Retrospect says even if I can get it working, it may not read tapes because the tapes and tape heads become unique, sort of like tracing a bullet casing to a particular gun. We do a nightly backup to an external hard drive, and swap ext. hard drives weekly, so we will never lose more than a week's worth of recent work, but what about a permanent solution? A permanent archive we can dupe to have one copy off site and one on site to pick up old repeat orders from? What do other people do? Internet backup? Blu Ray?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

We only keep one backup and if we lose it we lose it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

We use Bacula, http://www.bacula.org/en/, via the net to a server somewhere offsite.

beermonster

well - since me and my IT guy (our MD actually) don't see eye to eye on back-ups, and it's his company anyway, i had to concede and go his route - hard drive server with AIT. tape goes off site each nite, server sits in studio in an enormous rack

i wanted a silicon systems raid (granted - a few years ago) with full DAM software in an attempt to open the company up a little - to get away from the "dark arts" kinda ways.

no - go.

i wanted to offer desighn so we can hook into clients some more

no-go

i wanted to charge for mock-up's in quantities over 10 at a time

no-go

i wanted to develop the UV system into other markets

no-go

i wanted to get a better UV machine for short run bespoke jobs, colour correct mock-ups and proofing on substrates

no-go

my place is forward thinking :evil: :sarcasm:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

DigitalCrapShoveler

Top 'O' the mornin' to ye Beer.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

ello man how ya doin?

i aint irish tho lol

need a prepresser? as of now (tonite when i update me cv) i'm oficially looking for a new job - this place is sinking

DigitalCrapShoveler

I have been in front of a computer for 24 hours. Now I get to go to work. :banghead:

I know you're not Irish. I was testing my accent typing. I see it worked.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

well it was kinda semi-irish and a bit "ye knights of olde" mate - needs work ok

DigitalCrapShoveler

Eh, I only wanted to try it once. Didn't like it and I didn't inhale.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 01, 2010, 05:38:53 AMI have been in front of a computer for 24 hours. Now I get to go to work. :banghead:
I have some times dreamt of being at work. It sucks, because after a night's sleep you wake up and it's like you just got off your shift and have to go right back in.
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 01, 2010, 03:42:46 PMEh, I only wanted to try it once. Didn't like it and I didn't inhale.
I didn't exhale.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Stiv on May 28, 2010, 04:46:47 PMWe use Bacula, http://www.bacula.org/en/, via the net to a server somewhere offsite.
So Bacula replaces Retrospect and also does offsite backups? Is it compatible with Retrospect, so I can use my existing tapes? Or do I need to start over? Sorry - I didn't get to read that much on the website, and my boss told me to work on something else.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

I can't help you with Bacula.
Our tech guy who set this up has left for greener pastures. We can't figure it out, but it works.

Grimace

I stumbled upon a discussion somewhere on the board that discussed CD and DVD Cataloging software, but I can't find where.

Any recommendations?