Would you recommend?

Started by wrenchmaster, September 07, 2011, 06:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m2r

So in reality, I would only need a couple of Input Templates?
Say "Coated" and "Uncoated".
Then have Workflow Sets for each of the Different Presses / Proofs.
If so, if there are multiple Sets in a job, will it Render all the Set that added at the same time, even though only 1 is needed at the time?

While I am at it...
Can you set an Input Template to always convert all colors to Process without using an Action List? (which is a definite No-No)
I only come here when I hate my job.

Joe

At least it is still about XMF. That is unusual.

But if you want to start a new one that is fine.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: m2r on October 14, 2011, 08:20:53 AMSo in reality, I would only need a couple of Input Templates?
If so, if there are multiple Sets in a job, will it Render all the Set that added at the same time, even though only 1 is needed at the time?

While I am at it...
Can you set an Input Template to always convert all colors to Process without using an Action List? (which is a definite No-No)

Each Workflow should be a 'setup' in and of itself. You drag in the icons you need. Switch pages on and off in Job Structure as needed. (You can create new sections there, and select-all/drag/drop onto that section).
You can then drop-down to reveal pages, select a page, turn page values (creep etc.) on and off for that page only.. or adjust.
Control rendering from each Workflow pane, with the 'Complete Job', or 'Save' buttons, bottom right.
You can trawl through the Help stuff. It's slow going, but all there. It will take you a while to feel familiar with it all.
Keep at it. Keep firing questions.
Earendil and impodave will have further input, am sure.

.... m2r, do you have the imposition module/level? Or is it the 'lite' version, where you need pre-imposed?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

m2r

Quote.... m2r, do you have the imposition module/level? Or is it the 'lite' version, where you need pre-imposed?
It's not the "Lite" version, Imposition is included.

I am thinning out our workflows, back to basics.

Looking back, if our original workflows were set up correctly, we would be a little less confused / nervous.
I only come here when I hate my job.

Ear

Quote from: m2r on October 14, 2011, 08:20:53 AMSo in reality, I would only need a couple of Input Templates?

While I am at it...

It all depends on your situation... speed and simplicity vs custom and complex. Personally, mine is a mixture. I have a newspaper web that runs fast and furious, and heatset and sheetfed that take a little more care and attention.

Basically, I have a workflow template for each press+each line screen used per press.

MainNews 100lpi, MainNews 133lpi, Heatset 100lpi, Heatset 133lpi, Heatset 175lpi, 2Color Sheetfed 175lpi and Speedmaster 175lpi.

I broke it down this way so that I can have plate sizes and gripper to sheet setback pre dictated. I did the line screen breakdown because we have each press with each LPI G7 calibrated and I didn't want any confusion on which screening and curves to use. The stock/LPI and press are dictated on the work order and the prepress op merely has to select the press and line screen. Also, this helps when you have more than 1 or 2 presses on the floor since you don't run the risk of dumping your plate tiffs to the wrong output queue; the file path is set in each respective workflow... this does matter if you use a output module like Raster Blaster.

Once the proper press and LPI are chosen, I add other items as needed, again, from the ticket. None of my workflow templates have a proofer as default... most of the news jobs run without a proof and it's easy to drag the spinjet or Epson in as needed.

As far as convert to CMYK automatically... I will look into it. My preflight takes care of RGB. Converting from spot to process automatically is something I would not do, personally. I like to know if there is a spot color lurking in a job, as Adobe still hasn't completely worked out spot to process conversion where transparency interacts. I feel the operators should still be hands on with some things. Automation is cool and I use it where I can to cut down time but you can lose your edge if you use too much automation. I have it drilled into the heads of the ops here that the first thing you do when you open the workflow is to check inks. It takes 2 seconds.

I then have a handful of base templates for each press. XMF impo is easy to modify but it's nice to have a starting point for each press.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Also, be aware of the difference between Job Templates, where you'd have a collection of Sheets making up a full job; say, a 48pp saddle-stitch... vs. Stripping Sheet Templates, which are individual sheets which can be mixed'n'matched to make up a job. I use SSTs; it's really quick to throw any job together using them.
Great that you have the imposition, though.   :cool:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Right. Same here... I use SST for the main layout then copy>flow pages for multiple sigs. There are many advantages to working this way.

The only time I differ is with multi-web tabloid work... again with the hang-em and bang-em jobs vs the high end stuff.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black