News:

Main Menu

Welcome to XMF

Started by Joe, August 28, 2013, 03:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Diddler on August 28, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 03:34:44 PMMe!
You life will change for the better after the learning curve. It's honestly one of the best bits of software I've used. Did you get version 5.1?

I assume it will be the latest. Just did the agreement today so no actual anything yet.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: biggsie7 on August 28, 2013, 04:29:52 PM
You life will change for the better after the learning curve. It's honestly one of the best bits of software I've used. Did you get version 5.1?

Most definitely agree with that comment.  It's the only thing that's keeping me interested in the printing industry. And if you get a bit of time to really configure it well you will find there's not much it can't do... (with a few little annoying exceptions haha). Make sure you get trained on using Pagination Mode. It's a real time saver for book work.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around. I'm sure there will be questions forthcoming. :laugh:

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 04:42:58 PM

Most definitely agree with that comment.  It's the only thing that's keeping me interested in the printing industry. And if you get a bit of time to really configure it well you will find there's not much it can't do... (with a few little annoying exceptions haha). Make sure you get trained on using Pagination Mode. It's a real time saver for book work.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around. I'm sure there will be questions forthcoming. :laugh:

Biggise7 I have a strange disturbance in the force that tells me you are in fact The Master at it? correct.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Ear

There is a heavy presence, isn't there.

I agree about pagination mode. Copy>Flow Pages is pure money!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

biggsie7

thanks for the welcome Diddler and Earendil
Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Joe

Earendil, how did you go about doing your web imposition? Surely you don't create a layout from scratch for every job.

biggsie7

Quote from: Diddler on August 28, 2013, 04:52:00 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 04:42:58 PM

Biggise7 I have a strange disturbance in the force that tells me you are in fact The Master at it? correct.

Diddler....  I'm your Father!!!!

Not sure about being The Master but I do have the advantage of some insider experience I guess. And I do find myself back on the Dark Side for a while so I figured I might as well help out where I can.
Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 05:32:51 PMEarendil, how did you go about doing your web imposition? Surely you don't create a layout from scratch for every job.
Best to use Pagination mode with Stripping sheet templates, you only have to create the template once and save it. Simple as a few clicks once you have got the hang of it. I have found a way that you can also load them in as sets for a job. (Not to be seen anywhere in the official book).

Ear

I have saved quite a few base templates. We do a lot of repeat, periodical work, so no sense making a template every time. For example, I have saved templates for 30" stock, single web, double web, triple web. 35" stock, single, double, triple, quad, etc... For custom booklets, I usually start with something close and modify it. I never create a template from scratch anymore. You can save certain presets, such as marks, sluglines and plate sizes.

I also keep some base sheetfed templates but I find myself doing a lot more custom modification for sheetfed stuff, as there are more opportunities for being creative on ganging and such. For web it's either tab, standard, double parallel, ribbon deck or sheeter.

The guy doing the install had the dogma of having a bare minimum of stripping sheets saved and modifying everything on the fly. This is good, in theory, but in practice, with repeat jobs, it is easier to save completed templates for anything you have to do more than twice per year.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

That was kind of my main concern. With Preps 6 & 7 it is built for making templates up on the fly and when you do a lot of weeklies and monthlys you sure don't want to re-invent the wheel over and over and over. Good to know you can save those and re-use them later.

Thanks for the info Ear and Diddler. I'm guessing we are still a month or two away from an install but it's always good to gather as much info upfront as possible.

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 05:52:20 PMThat was kind of my main concern. With Preps 6 & 7 it is built for making templates up on the fly and when you do a lot of weeklies and monthlys you sure don't want to re-invent the wheel over and over and over. Good to know you can save those and re-use them later.

Thanks for the info Ear and Diddler. I'm guessing we are still a month or two away from an install but it's always good to gather as much info upfront as possible.

Joe trust me you going to love the fact that it can change any impo template with 'automatically resize'

Joe

Quote from: Diddler on August 28, 2013, 06:02:41 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 05:52:20 PMThat was kind of my main concern. With Preps 6 & 7 it is built for making templates up on the fly and when you do a lot of weeklies and monthlys you sure don't want to re-invent the wheel over and over and over. Good to know you can save those and re-use them later.

Joe trust me you going to love the fact that it can change any impo template with 'automatically resize'

I'm not sure I fully understand that. None of our presses fold the same or have the same cutoff size etc...so currently we have to switch to a complete different template. Just resizing the template doesn't sound like it would work for our web presses because the layouts are completely different for all of our presses.

Which btw is why we never went "All in" with Preps 6-7.

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 06:12:13 PM
Quote from: Diddler on August 28, 2013, 06:02:41 PM

I'm not sure I fully understand that. None of our presses fold the same or have the same cutoff size etc...so currently we have to switch to a complete different template. Just resizing the template doesn't sound like it would work for our web presses because the layouts are completely different for all of our presses.

Which btw is why we never went "All in" with Preps 6-7.

You will still need a template for a certain fold pattern but only at one size.It will automatically resize to the page size of the job. Saves you from have hundreds of templates.

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on August 28, 2013, 03:35:43 PMand I'm getting a webinar :banana:
Us too!! When's yours scheduled? Be funny if we're logged into the same session. We're several months away from switching, if it happens at all but I'm hopeful.

Joe, did you do any of the webbie storefronty stuff?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

We are getting XMF Remote for online proofing and approval but not XMF PrintCentre (web-to-print solution).