News:

Main Menu

Welcome to XMF

Started by Joe, August 28, 2013, 03:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

So this software is not so exclusive now?   :undecided: Looks like we'll have to look at the membership criteria.     :laugh:

We run on pretty narrow rails compared to some guys here. Mainly SS bookwork, mixed brochures/flyers, a few burst bound yearbooks here and there... But I find copying out SSTs (Stripping Sheets Templates), into a full job pretty effortless. You just bring in the mix'n'match you need. Pagination flows without a hitch. Th on-board impo has grown from a stumbling kid a few years ago to a mature adult.  They've fixed/improved a lot of things.
Page-Mapping is kick-ass, to borrow a northern hemi expression, and they've improved the interface on it.
ear's web experiences should be reassuring, I'd think.

So, now you won't have to whinge about the Big K, what ya gonna do?   :grin:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 08:13:43 PMWe are getting XMF Remote for online proofing and approval but not XMF PrintCentre (web-to-print solution).
We look and had a demo on Remote. I liked it, but the boss wouldn't cough up the beans.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

I don't believe you do much saddle stitch stuff, Joe, but if you have to use Creep Compensation, 'Creep Face Only' is the only method to use. Similar to the feature in PREPS, I guess. Crossover problems disappear.

Another noteworthy mention. It's been a while since I used PREPS; 5.2.2, from memory. Losing links to files could be an issue, and a PITA if you moved stuff. XMF uploads the PDFs. There's no phantom link to break. At times I've rescued myself by "Save File to Disk', by retrieving from XMF.   :tapedshut:
But am thinking Prinergy may work in a similar way.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

We do more saddle stitch stuff than anything though most of it is small enough we rarely use creep. Occasionally but it is the exception instead of the rule. But yeah, we made sure XMF had the "Creep Face Only" which is the equivalent of Preps "Creep Scale".

Quote from: Diddler on August 28, 2013, 09:30:43 PMWe look and had a demo on Remote. I liked it, but the boss wouldn't cough up the beans.

We don't do hard copy proofs. All of our proofing is done with online soft proofs and customer approval too so it was an absolute necessity for us to get Remote.

I think the thing I'm most looking forward to is having Pitstop Server built in for preflighting and being able to use action lists and global changes.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on August 28, 2013, 08:05:00 PM
Quote from: Tracy on August 28, 2013, 03:35:43 PMand I'm getting a webinar :banana:
Us too!! When's yours scheduled? Be funny if we're logged into the same session. We're several months away from switching, if it happens at all but I'm hopeful.

Our webinar was just us, myself and my prepress manager, and the 2 XMF people giving the webinar. Not a group thing. Which allows you to interrupt and ask questions as you go along.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on August 28, 2013, 11:01:00 PMWe don't do hard copy proofs. All of our proofing is done with online soft proofs and customer approval too so it was an absolute necessity for us to get Remote.
We still rely pretty heavily on hard proofs but it's maybe 50-50 now and all soft proofs go out via email - the Remote Proofing would be fantastic, guess we'll see where they place it as a priority.

QuoteI think the thing I'm most looking forward to is having Pitstop Server built in for preflighting and being able to use action lists and global changes.
Is that standard? I'd freaking love to have Pitstop Server and get some serious Action List hawtness going on here.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on August 29, 2013, 10:50:26 AMIs that standard? I'd freaking love to have Pitstop Server and get some serious Action List hawtness going on here.

Yes. That is the preflight engine for XMF.

Ear

Yep and it is sweet. I run a standalone PitStop on my workstation but PitStop actions and preflights abound in the Sierra/XMF workflow. Attaching an action is easy.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

Quote from: Slappy on August 28, 2013, 08:05:00 PM
Quote from: Tracy on August 28, 2013, 03:35:43 PMand I'm getting a webinar :banana:
Us too!! When's yours scheduled? Be funny if we're logged into the same session. We're several months away from switching, if it happens at all but I'm hopeful.

Joe, did you do any of the webbie storefronty stuff?
They said I could schedule anytime, boss is on vacation, so most likely next week.
I have been so unusually busy, so it will depend if I get a break!

Slappy

Had our webinar sprung on us this morning, lasted just over an hour and I gotta say it's pretty impressive looking. (May need larger or some additional monitors, LOTS of window panes!) It seems to have a lot more ways to automate job creation & re-use of templates that would fit our type of work perfectly. It may be a function of our Prinect/Signastation being so outdated, but it's a real drag having to "touch" almost every aspect of an impo, where it seems like in XMF there would be very little need for that on 80% or more of our jobs. Wish I was going to Chicago for the hands-on at GraphExpo, but I'm not high enough value for that.  :cry:

We inquired about the remote proofing module, didn't see that in the demo but I'm sure they'll look at it in Chicago, seriously hope the extra cost isn't too prohibitive because again, we have a growing need for it & have gotten burned a few times because of poor approval & change tracking practices.

Oh, and the CIP3 generation is an additional module too?? Kind of odd in this day & age, but we rely on it so heavily it''s a necessity.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

They told us the CIP3 is a standard included feature. Not added cost after the quoted price.

biggsie7

Quote from: Joe on September 03, 2013, 10:07:24 PMThey told us the CIP3 is a standard included feature. Not added cost after the quoted price.

CIP4 is included in XMF Complete but is an optional extra in XMF 4up Workflow
Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?

frailer

I think Joe has 64-up workflow.   :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: biggsie7 on September 03, 2013, 10:11:23 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 03, 2013, 10:07:24 PMThey told us the CIP3 is a standard included feature. Not added cost after the quoted price.

OOps...yes, CIP4 is what I meant. I assume XMF Complete is the VLF version?

biggsie7

Quote from: Joe on September 03, 2013, 10:40:15 PM
Quote from: biggsie7 on September 03, 2013, 10:11:23 PM

OOps...yes, CIP4 is what I meant. I assume XMF Complete is the VLF version?

Yep it's just an different licence included to get VLF.
Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?