inserting white sheet after every 7th page

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 18, 2021, 02:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

We are trying to figure out how to insert 1 white page after every 7 pages of a large pdf printing on blue paper. The content changes every 7 pages and it's being done this way for ease in collating.

Obviously we have to use 2 different trays.

Does anyone know how this could be done in CWS?

Possum

In the Finishing tab of properties there is a section called Slip Sheet. Its only setting starts with inserting sheets before each set, not after, so you have one to start. You can specify how many pages to print before inserting a sheet, and it has a place to select which tray to pick the slip sheets from.

I have CWS 5 right now. On older versions the Slip Sheet section was somewhere else in properties.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

pabney

If it is always after 7 pages, you should be able to define a record length of 7 in the VDP tab and then set up a slipsheet.
It should throw a slipsheet after every "record"

DigiCorn

Actually, the way I would do it in CWS is not to use the slipsheet option, because if the books offset in stack, then it will offset at the slipsheet. There's a dropdown where you can define tabs, inserts, etc. and you want to select "Insert," for two reasons: one, it won't offset the book like it will when using the slipsheet option and two, you can use the post fuser inserter on your device because then it won't charge you a click for that blue sheet. You might be able to use the slipsheet option and have it pull from the inserter also, but it won't correct the offsetting.

It's pretty easy to figure out. There's a checkbox and first you define the page number you type in and then check the box as to whether the sheet is inserted before or after that page number.

The nice thing about the insert option is that if you have a preprinted sheet, you can then insert it inline while the job is running instead of having to manually place it later.

[edit] After re-reading the previous posts, NO! don't use slipsheet at all because it won't work... you can't define a slipsheet at page 7; it will default to slipsheet at the end of the book and it can't be changed. YOU MUST you the "Insert," option; it's your ONLY option. I think there's a checkbox for printed or not printed. It's found in the same location where you can define other options for paper... you can have as many definitions programmed as you have paper trays available.

I can't remember where all of our members are from, but I think you're in Canada, eh? That's why you're working today... It's MLK day in America, where we all pretend that we care about black people for one day (well, the pro-Trump crowd pretends, anyway - some of the rest of us actually DO care).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Thanks, in the end we managed to insert from another tray using the chapter insert.

I created an excel file like: 8,15,22 etc. then used auto fill to carry on to 335 sets. Made that into a text file then copied and pasted those numbers in the place you have to.

Might be an easier way but this worked.

DigiCorn

If I was at work... or could still log in remotely and screenshot, I would have had a better detailing of how to do it. You just paid an extra click charge for each of those sheets.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes I am sure there must have been a better way to do it, but it worked and I am sure that the client will end up paying for the extra clicks. There were 1343 sets of 7 pages so I guess we will be charged for an extra page on each. (8 pages instead of 7).

They needed the job shipped by tomorrow.

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, sometimes this job is like the Apollo 13 movie....just get the damned job done and get it out the door! Damnit Janet!  :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 19, 2021, 12:14:03 AM
Actually, the way I would do it in CWS is not to use the slipsheet option, because if the books offset in stack, then it will offset at the slipsheet. There's a dropdown where you can define tabs, inserts, etc. and you want to select "Insert," for two reasons: one, it won't offset the book like it will when using the slipsheet option and two, you can use the post fuser inserter on your device because then it won't charge you a click for that blue sheet. You might be able to use the slipsheet option and have it pull from the inserter also, but it won't correct the offsetting.

It's pretty easy to figure out. There's a checkbox and first you define the page number you type in and then check the box as to whether the sheet is inserted before or after that page number.

Yes here we are in Canada dealing with coviid and our premier (sorta like a USA govenor i suppose) who is pissed off about our vaccine response says...

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/01/doug-ford-pfizer-ying-yang-vaccine-shortage/

The nice thing about the insert option is that if you have a preprinted sheet, you can then insert it inline while the job is running instead of having to manually place it later.

[edit] After re-reading the previous posts, NO! don't use slipsheet at all because it won't work... you can't define a slipsheet at page 7; it will default to slipsheet at the end of the book and it can't be changed. YOU MUST you the "Insert," option; it's your ONLY option. I think there's a checkbox for printed or not printed. It's found in the same location where you can define other options for paper... you can have as many definitions programmed as you have paper trays available.

I can't remember where all of our members are from, but I think you're in Canada, eh? That's why you're working today... It's MLK day in America, where we all pretend that we care about black people for one day (well, the pro-Trump crowd pretends, anyway - some of the rest of us actually DO care).

pspdfppdfxhd

Sorry, I repeat, here we are in Canada, and our premier (sort of like a USA senator I suppose) in response to a slow vaccine supply has a response as follows:

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/01/doug-ford-pfizer-ying-yang-vaccine-shortage/

DigiCorn

My best friend (also coincidentally named Ford), is a lobbyist for the health care industry, and he's passed along a bevy of helpful information that isn't insider information at all. He accurately predicted that the Pfizer and Moderna trials would be successful and also that it will be the end of summer by the time us common folk get the vaccine. He said that industries were supposed to be ramping up production of syringes, glass vials and vehicles for transport, but they are far behind where they should be. You have to remember they are trying to produce enough to distribute to 8 billion people around the world, AND the current vaccines require two doses. That's 16 billion doses. If they produce a million a day, you do the math on that. They also have to distribute in such fashion that the second dose is administered in 21 days or it loses effectiveness. Then there's the matter of storage; you have to be able to refrigerate all those doses AND it's not your standard refrigeration - in California there's only something like 8 facilities that have the ability to store it properly (one of them happens to be UC Davis, where my wife work, and yes, she has gotten both doses and other than a sore arm and being tired, no side effects - she got the Pfizer). They also haven't done ANY testing on anyone under age 17, so kids can't be inoculated until the testing is approved. The bottom line is you have to be patient.

There was supposed to be an agreement between the top researchers of the vaccines that if one had a viable formula that worked and was approved for distribution, the rest would switch over and produce the vaccine at their own facilities. That's not currently happening.

OK, now for the GOOD news: IF you have a little cash, you might be able to make a little money if you move quickly. My friend and I researched who makes glass vials, and of the top ten companies, 9 are privately held and only one is publicly traded, however, I don't think that's the way to go because everyone will be on to that and it has a glass ceiling, pardon the pun. There are other researchers working on approval. Astra-Zeneca got close, but their trials were only like 70%. Here's the pandemic breaker (so says my friend): Johnson & Johnson. For the past year, their stock has fluctuated around $140, but it has steadily risen to $162.77 as of close today in under 2 months. Their trial hasn't been approved yet, but it is testing better than Pfizer and Moderna AND it only requires a single dose AND no special handling or refrigeration. Once approved, it will be THE vaccine to end the pandemic. For prepressers like us, who can probably only afford to burn a grand or two, it amounts to a couple of shares... but it should be a hot ticket and a quick sell, possibly earning 5% in under a year's time which is better than a savings account or a money market account. Experts predict a high of $181, so that's your sell point. But if they split the stock, you could be in a solid investment in under a year's time.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I was caught up in the momentum of the flow of conversation. It's called thread-jacking.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway