Main Menu

Burning Disks

Started by Tracy, January 27, 2021, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I use to burn disks on the old G5 Mac worked great for years
I have not had good experiences burning disks with an external hard drive
I have gone through enough externals, I now have the Apple external reader,
I think it's a burner too but not going to use it.

so anyway while I was out the G5 died and I'm wanting to get another one since
it was so reliable in burning disks, can anyone help me find a G5 for a good rate?

I found this but there isn't any info, if there is a burner etc.....
Thanks for any help, not very good at this stuff

https://macsplusmore.com/products/apple-power-mac-g5-2-0-ghz-dp-pci-2gb-ram-1tb-hdd-desktop-computer?variant=35054491009069&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-11-21&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq8nokM287gIV_hitBh3OlgD9EAYYBiABEgKFzfD_BwE

Tracy

really? I go through those just using it for reading and cataloging
well the last one went out when I was out on disability.
do you burn disks with 4 GB of data at one time?

Tracy

I got this one before the Apple reader and I broke it too!
well the guy covering for me did and I was only using it for a reader
as when I would burn dvds I would get an error message

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6v3S-tm87gIV7j2tBh2PmwZhEAQYASABEgJKUfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would rather not get the G5 and get a burner but I'm jinxed I tell you!

born2print

Me thinks I don't put the same mileage on mine as you do yours, if you've had issues, don't let me talk you out of your plan?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Tracy

yeah I really should learn to just use the Raids
but nobody else here would be able to (seriously)
right now I back up the Raids onto an external USB
so I know there is a capability of getting more raids
and just storing the raids as disks

I burn disks and catalog them

Joe

What brand of DVD's are you using? Good quality DVD's?

Internal or external shouldn't make a difference. I've got an external burner from macsales.com and haven't had any issues but I'm sure I don't burn near as much as you are.

Man G5's are running on a power pc chip. I think OS X 10.5.x is the latest OS you can put on it. Talk about old school. :cane:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

When it comes to media, I have burned literally thousands of DVDs (and a few blurays and hundreds of CDs) and NOTHING beats RiData when it comes to not making coasters. Also, they are not the cheapest, nor the most expensive; just right down the middle... but I have had WAAAAAY fewer issues with RiData.

IF you have the option, dual layer is the way to go, but it is more expensive.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Thanks I will check this out
Thanks guys!

and Joe, yes I know the G5 is old but all I need it for is to burn disks,
it was a work horse for that!!

Just need to figure this out, I think a high end disk burner is the way to go
digi your suggestion is made in China this will be a last resort for me, looks like good products tho.

know anything made in the USA?

DigiCorn

Memorex is my #2, but I don't know where they're made either
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Just to throw this out there but you can buy a 1 TB (1,000 GB) hard drive for around $50 which hold up to 250 DVDs content and it is a heck of a lot faster than burning DVD's. You can buy internal hard drives and put them in this to archive to (see attached image) and then when done put on a shelf. You can also use Disk Catalogue Maker to create an index of every file on the hard drive. And of course you can buy much larger hard drives than 1 TB. I think a 4 TB internal HD is around $100 or less. This is what we currently do where I work.

FIDECO USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station Dual-Bay External HDD Dock with Offline Clone/Duplicator Function and TF & SD Card Slots for 2.5/3.5 Inch SATA HDD SSD, Support 16 TB
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

wow! that's cool
I need to get the energy up to research all this.

I just saw the link! Thanks Joe!

born2print

yeah, get away from those DVDs.
there was a time about a million years ago where we ran into only an older Mac being able to read some super old DVD archives...
after that nothing could. Big box of coasters! Things like that happen over time.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

Joe, the picture shows 2 drive slots of different sizes,
but in other pictures it shows 2 full size HDs in the slots.
Is there a cover that comes off to allow for 2 full size HDs in the slots?

looks cool, may need to get one.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

So do you back the files up or relying on the drive to last a long time?
I guess I'm relying on the disks to last a long time, but like Born said
I wonder some day nothing will read them