Goodbye, prepress

Started by gnubler, September 21, 2013, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

There was a time I felt the same. I loved the art of beating files into submission.

Now my tech is years behind, the boss has lost interest, most customers don't care about quality and files, while better, are made by clueless hacks. I still have pride in my work, when I don't is when I leave.

But you are right, that comment isn't correct.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I complain a lot but there are a lot worse jobs and I've had several of them before I came to prepress. So I'm pretty happy too. But I try to keep that a secret. Shhhhh......
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

That's why it's called work.

I love working on cars, doing it for a living sucked. I love cooking, doing it for a living sucks.

I've had worse jobs.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

ninjaPB_43

bubkis  (Meant to post here)
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

delooch

My worst job was shoveling horse shit at a ranch. Not much different to what im doing today.

DigiCorn

Quote from: delooch on January 08, 2018, 03:39:17 PMMy worst job was shoveling horse shit at a ranch. Not much different to what im doing today.
Horses? Lucky. I shoveled pig shit. We called it, "the soupy."
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

ninjaPB_43

So while we're on the topic of worst jobs...   Resurfacing tennis courts.  I spent one summer with my brother doing this. It is still done by wheelbarrow, and large squeegee. One man pulls the squeegee back and forth in lines across the length of the court, while another man runs (YES RUNS) back and forth with the wheelbarrow full of acrylic paint using a bucket to put a line out in front of the squeegee man. If the squeegee man takes too long or his line runs too thin it will streak, or create ridges. Once you start, you cannot stop until you are at the other side NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. Yes, I had instances where my wheel barrow was too full and I dumped it (or splatter some) and the squeegee man had to speed up to get to where the spill was before it dried. 

That doesn't even account for the hole digging for the net posts. You have to go about 3-4 times deeper than you would think because of the tension on the net. If the posts aren't deep enough the posts will bend in when you tighten the net.

All this was done in the 100 degree summer temps.

Not fond of this summer in my life. Not fond at all... 

https://youtu.be/Zru-zDhnwcU
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Farabomb

All so Buffy can cheat on her husband.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

I did work in call center doing tech support for dsl. It was ok, but then one day they decided to make us cold call possible clients. That part SUCKED severely.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on January 09, 2018, 07:03:14 AMAll so Buffy can cheat on her husband.
...and she stepped on the ping pong ball...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

amywatson

hey

If I think myself on your side, then probably, I would love to open a T-shirt printing shop with even small printers. Today everybody wants personalized products to be it tshirt, hoodies, and also like caps or mugs. There are lots of web to print software provider in the market like Design'N'Buy. These providers have the latest web to print software and are affordable in range too.
Design'N'Buy - Enabling Print Business on the Web

Ear

a sales bot... about a subtle as a bear trap too.   
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

StudioMonkey

WTF is a "Online Storefront Configurator" ???
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana