Moire pattern on final product

Started by zacgil, September 10, 2014, 11:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: david on October 28, 2014, 03:36:03 PMhere's a Deke tute on applying a ben-day screen

http://www.lynda.com/Illustrator-tutorials/275-Converting-photo-Lichtenstein-drawing/76067/157122-4.html

I sat and watched that entire video. Maybe it's just me, but not impressed with the final product.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 28, 2014, 03:15:35 PMI actually think this will print okay.

Here is a blown-up version of the dots... like I mentioned., the dots from the art are being reproduced by the smaller dots of the resolution.

It might. The VPS I made didn't look horrible.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 28, 2014, 03:59:27 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 28, 2014, 03:15:35 PMI actually think this will print okay.

Here is a blown-up version of the dots... like I mentioned., the dots from the art are being reproduced by the smaller dots of the resolution.

It might. The VPS I made didn't look horrible.

If the dots are big enough and don't interfere with the printing halftone dots, it should be okay. I don't see any reason this won't print with the desired effect.

My opinion is, leave it... I really think this will be fine.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

I agree, about both...
the tutorial was a little "eh", but it did show how to do the basic step of adding the ben-day effect to a single color.

and I also don't think the image will look that bad on press either, not as "moire-ey" as you may expect.
I ripped it over and it looked fine on the big screen (we have a 42" preview station in the plateroom to look at the plate files before plating).
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

... or, press the 'de-focus' button twice on the Dai-Nippon Screen camera.  And angle the artwork of course...   :rolleyes:  Feel so full of good tips this morning.   :old:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

zacgil

Thanks for all the feedback!  I will definitely be passing this information along.
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

frailer

Quote from: david on October 28, 2014, 04:17:19 PMwe have a 42" preview station in the plateroom to look at the plate files before plating.
Size matters in Texas.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

swampymarsh

When viewing 1:1 at 2400-2540ppi, size does matter!

David

Quote from: frailer on October 28, 2014, 04:50:41 PM... or, press the 'de-focus' button twice on the Dai-Nippon Screen camera.  And angle the artwork of course...  :rolleyes:  Feel so full of good tips this morning.  :old:

nah, I always gently tap the lens with my knuckle while the lights are on and rotate the art in the copyboard to help break up any screening pattern in the reflective art.   :old: :old:
Livin' la Vida Loca