Transparency ISsue with 4color PSD on top of Spot Color Background

Started by rickself, January 22, 2019, 09:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Holy CRAP!
Uh, no we didn't.
At least that would have given the powers that be a good reason for no Christmas bonus last year!!
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Tracy

I don't think we paid anything for ours, but it really isn't worth it to me
they need to do some work on that.

Do you see a color difference printing to the Ricoh with spot and process?

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

rickself

Quote from: Tracy on January 22, 2019, 11:39:08 AMI don't think we paid anything for ours, but it really isn't worth it to me

The colors are really, really close. Close enough I think for a big agency to accept. I just hate giving in to compromise.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

Tracy

yeah I get it, I don't know how many times I've tried to match a spot on the copiers!

rickself

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 22, 2019, 11:39:08 AMI don't think we paid anything for ours, but it really isn't worth it to me

If you have it...you paid for it somewhere in the process. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: rickself on January 22, 2019, 11:42:10 AM

The colors are really, really close. Close enough I think for a big agency to accept. I just hate giving in to compromise.

Spot colors, transparency, and a Fiery RIP is a recipe for disaster.

rickself

What do you know, Joe?
Enlighten me, please! Maybe I should try to bypass the Fiery?

Joe

I don't think you can bypass the Fiery if you want to print to that machine. As others have said, convert the spot to process and live with it.

Also have a read here: Transparency & PMS Spot Colors – How to Solve the Conflict for Print

mc hristel

Spot colors and transparency have never been a good combination. If I remember correctly, back 10-15 years ago when transparency was newer and .ps and by extension .pdf didn't support it, you would always get the dreaded black box (sometimes the white box) where a spot and transparency overlapped. I think because the transparency was always 4 color and the spot was well, a spot color, the RIPs didn't know what to do and handled it badly. The modern RIPs are better at rendering these things now, but apparently Fiery still has some issues.

Still, I don't think I would feed anything with a spot color to a Fiery RIP. Those things are so unpredictable, unless your Ricoh is using spot color toners I'd convert all your spot colors to process before they get anywhere near the Fiery.

swampymarsh

Rather than having a transparent image placed over the vector spot background, you could include all or part of the spot background in Photoshop as a spot colour channel. You of course then need the RIP to process the vector spot and raster spot the same, otherwise you will see an edge and may need to extend the spot background in Photoshop so that it can fully replace the vector spot background object. Yes, likely swapping one problem for another, but worth a try for giggles!

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: rickself on January 22, 2019, 10:10:24 AMThe PSD image has a bounding box transparency issue

Hmmm, the problem might be the chicken fat in the ingredients.

rickself

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 24, 2019, 06:45:14 AM
Quote from: rickself on January 22, 2019, 10:10:24 AMThe PSD image has a bounding box transparency issue

Hmmm, the problem might be the chicken fat in the ingredients.
I like the new life these threads take on when the issue is old hat!
 :rotf:

rickself

Quote from: swampymarsh on January 24, 2019, 12:25:56 AMRather than having a transparent image placed over the vector spot background, you could include all or part of the spot background in Photoshop as a spot colour channel. You of course then need the RIP to process the vector spot and raster spot the same, otherwise you will see an edge and may need to extend the spot background in Photoshop so that it can fully replace the vector spot background object. Yes, likely swapping one problem for another, but worth a try for giggles!
I'm still working on adding a spot background in Photoshop. I also think that's the way to go if the client insists on using InDesign. Illustrator is my main forté. I've tried YouTube for good tutorials but haven't got there yet.