Epson 10600 woes

Started by DigiCorn, April 01, 2009, 10:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

We have an Epson 10600 which recently began having issues with tearing paper when imaging. I don't know if the vacuum isn't pulling the paper taught or if the blade isn't disengaging properly after a cut. Regardless, the print head hits the sheet while imaging and the paper tears or jams during the proofing process, rendering the proof, and essentially the printer, useless. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? It tears on both 44" and 24" rolls, regardless of the paper weight. When it does image without tearing, it mars the sheet with excess ink lines; we have thoroughly cleaned the unit, but it still leaves lines of ink sporadically.

:huh: It's not the cutting blade.

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Sounds like you have a damaged print head. We don't have a 10600, but I have had to replace the print head on our Epson when someone tried to proof a job and the paper had too much curl and the print head went over the paper and ripped it up as it went across.
Called tech and they sent us out a new print head, put it on (it was easy to do) and it worked great.
You may have a different problem, but it just sounds similar.

good luck and welcome to the forums.

Cheers,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

the excess ink issue might mean it needs a service - for some tech to come and take it apart and clean it. i do this on my hp once  year, or if excess ink gets down.

the tearing is an issue - could be the linear encoder is screwed or something is causing the heads to lower - do they lower on that machine?

i'd suggest a tech call - get it quick before something really goes wrong - and stop wastine ink and paper - and sanity too!

and welcome aboard :cheesy:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

tapdn

Never happened on our 10600, but does on the HP 1050c usually ink build-up and wee bit shorter end roll from press we print on.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

DigiCorn

Well, we broke down and called Epson to have the tech come out. $1180 for a new print head, plus $175 an hour and a $275 destination charge. Plus, they want to do about $1000 of other "suggested" maintenance. The proofer has 9100 impressions on it, so I guess $2500+ is cheaper than buying a new one, especially since we seem to use it pretty well and all. He hasn't fixed it yet, so right now we're limping along with our 24" 7880. I hope we don't get a big poster order anytime soon!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway