Epson stops in its tracks...

Started by frailer, February 21, 2010, 08:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Have a fairly new install, (a few months), of Black Magic, running Snow leopard on an Intel Mini. No issues until the last few days. Can only run a proof or two, until it stops partly through a proof. In the past, if the Epson's IP has dropped off, a switch off>unplug ethernet to Epson>restart>re-connect ethernet cable... used to fix it.
This is different. Even a restart of Black Magic server isn't working, though it did once or twice. A restart of the Mini, then relaunch of BM Server kicks it in again. BTW, have unplugged the local 8-port router we use, rested it a few minutes, then restarted everything else on the network. Am about to look into pinging the Epson from BM, as a starter, after I get some more proofs out of it. I'm rusty on this stuff, as we've been pretty trouble-free.

Also launched Nerwork Utility...shall further track stuff there, if I can. Will also run Network Diagnostics from the Mini. Where would I find the Epson's current IP as assigned, so I can ping it?...from Network Utility?
Any thoughts welcome.

...also, could it be a dodgy port on the router, or some other problem with it?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Adriano

I had a similar problem once
it was the network card buggered
It worked keep pinging until stopped with the -t command eg
ping 10.10.2.27 -t
it keeps the connection awake
Still not drinking. Never been better

frailer

Well, some progress. See screenshots. I have the Epson connected to the router with a join/connector in it. First step will be to replace with new cable...no join. See what gives then.
And thanks for introducing the possibility of the network card, Adriano. Now included in the police line-up.   :evil:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

So the Epson IP is 192.168.9.78 and you have it plugged directly into the router? What kind of light is showing on the router for the port the Epson is plugged into? If it's green or yellow the cable is probably ok. If there is no light it could be the cable, the router or the network card in the printer.

Your Epson probably has a built in web server you can access from your browser. Try typing in http://192.168.9.78 or https://192.168.9.78 and see if you see it in the browser. Probably not if you can't ping it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Shall try that tomorrow Joe. Is there a test for the network card on the Epson that I can run? Diagnosis a bit hit and miss from here, I imagine. Hate to think what a new Epson card would be worth. Router/switch is about 5 years in. But that shouldn't be so expensive. Must research model number to see what specs it is for replacement, if it comes to it.
 Also, that Epson IP address. Tends to be assigned the same address...but that would still be under DHCP, correct? Suppose the relevant Black Magic client window will tell me that.   :undecided:

And the router/switch interface/browser. How to access that, if there is such a thing. Must be somewhere you can view IP addresses of each port, as assigned.   :undecided:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 22, 2010, 03:53:05 AMShall try that tomorrow Joe. Is there a test for the network card on the Epson that I can run? Diagnosis a bit hit and miss from here, I imagine. Hate to think what a new Epson card would be worth. Router/switch is about 5 years in. But that shouldn't be so expensive. Must research model number to see what specs it is for replacement, if it comes to it.
 Also, that Epson IP address. Tends to be assigned the same address...but that would still be under DHCP, correct? Suppose the relevant Black Magic client window will tell me that.   :undecided:

And the router/switch interface/browser. How to access that, if there is such a thing. Must be somewhere you can view IP addresses of each port, as assigned.   :undecided:

Router interface of the switch is usually accessed by putting the IP address in the browser address bar but sometimes you have to configure it yourself to be able to access it that way. If it hasn't been configured that way you may have to connect a serial cable to the pc and access it that way.

Usually a printer like this is configured with static IP because the rip (Black Magic) is usually looking for it at the same IP address every time. If it's configured with DHCP this could be the problem because if the IP address changes to a different IP number the BM would fail to find it. You can usually find out how the printer has been configured by going through the menus in the printer control panel or by having the printer print the configuration sheet. Also if you get access back to the printer on the network you can use the IP in the web browser to view the epson from the browser as I mentioned earlier.

The network card on the printer is not all that expensive. Send me the details of the card. I might have one I can send you. I took the one out of the Epson 7000 we trashed a few weeks ago. You are welcome to it if they are compatible. It's an Epson 10/100 network card but not sure if they are the same from one model to the next. Usually you can tell if the card is working by looking at the lights. The green light means it powered up OK. Once the network cable is plugged in the light should change to orange if it's working OK. (On my card in the old Epson 7000 that is the way it worked anyway)

frailer

Thanks for that info. Shall see what happens today.

...and am assuming, as you say, that the Epson IP is static, by the looks.

Have pretty good relationship with Epson service guy. Shall maybe see if he has a card from another 7600 lying around on his shelf.   :undecided:

(thinks to self...chance to escape "office" for a few hours... :cool:).

frailer

Someone made the suggestion that we could connect with USB. So far, so good. Don't know why, but always assumed that hooking up BM with USB was not an option, mainly because there was such a fuss to change to TCP/IP from FireWire back in '04. (An argument between Apple and Epson at the time; there were problems). Why USB was not an option then, I don't know. Distance between server and Epson was/is small/close.
Whatever the issue, it's been 'gone around', but await end of day of output before I declare it over...   :undecided:

Joe

Yeah, USB will work as long as it's hooked directly to the BM and you don't try to print directly to it (the printer) from other computers.

frailer

Not one of those situations where we would need to, so all's well...  Much as I hate to admit it.   :laugh:  Still nags though, the network problem. Guess I'll just have to 'get over it'.   :rolleyes:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 22, 2010, 07:06:16 PMNot one of those situations where we would need to, so all's well...  Much as I hate to admit it.   :laugh:  Still nags though, the network problem. Guess I'll just have to 'get over it'.   :rolleyes:

Yeah, I couldn't live with that on my mind. But I'm anal like that. You, on the other hand, are not supposed to be like that. :laugh:

frailer

Why, because of my 'psychiatric care' background, in a previous life?  Sorta should know better etc.. taking on undue stress.   :laugh:
 I may hit you with some error logs; don't relax yet.   :evil:

Joe

It's a curse, trust me. Sometimes I can barely live myself. :wink:

frailer

After 2 days non-stop printing via USB connection, from Black Magic...get in this morning to find it not printing. Am chasing the usual suspects.   :rolleyes:  Await call from Fujifilm, who do the support for BM.
FWIW, some screenshots.

frailer